1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming out in Grand Style

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Aug 8, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'd take that even further and ask them how they'd want to be treated if they had a party celebrating ANY life or social change, like getting a divorce, getting married, having a child, etc.

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I don't care one way or another about my friends' sexual preferences, but I would find it tacky if someone invited me to a party to make that announcement.

Just seems to me an inappropriate way to handle it, especially with a wife in the picture.

I think a better way to handle it would have been to tell chosen friends one-on-one. Then have the coming out party, if need be. That way you're not putting your friends in a needlessly uncomfortable situation. Very selfish. I mean, what are people there supposed to say to the wife? "Don't feel bad; I'd still hit you.''

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I always find the "won't be taking any showers with him anytime soon" thing funny. Am I the only one who would not be freaked by knowing a gay guy was in a group shower in a gym setting? Now, am I going to invite a gay guy ... or any guy ... to shower with me at home? Of course not. But I guess I've struck out with enough chicks to not worry that I'm going to be super attractive to gay guys. I'm betting I repulse them as much as I repulse most females.

Anyway, always stunned that people are stunned when others come out. I understand the "married" thing -- the whole living a lie, to a large degree -- but why does anybody care? People have to deal with their actions and I am pretty sure this guy knew that going in. Some would be turned off simply because he was gay. Others will be turned off by the venue he chose. He's probably to the point where he wouldn't mind knowing who his real friends are. but maybe I'm reading in too much here.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

When was the last time any of you showered with another man or a group of men? If you didn't know someone in the group was gay, why would things be any different if it turned out one of them WAS gay?

5. Flash

Flash Guest

That's my question, Daddy. What changes about the shower situation now? My goodness, just because your buddy is gay doesn't mean he wants you. Men, I swear. Listen, not everybody wants you.
    Signed,
    Someone who has showered with her lesbian teammates and never once got hit on :)

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You don't actually believe anything on that thread happened do you?

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

"He didn't give you GAY, did he?"

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Personally, I know the biggest issue with showering is that I just really don't need another guy's johnson that close to me. What sexual orientation that johnson is matters very little.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Look straight ahead, never down, and don't drop the soap.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

Did he serve this at the party?

[​IMG]

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Jeepers, yeah, just like the old days when we thought someone's black was gonna rub off on us ...

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I would think Boots, if he doesn't to be associated with homosexuals, should more afraid of saying, "I played handball with my gay friend."

Draft saved Draft deleted