1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe your expectations were too high. I kind of viewed it as a window into how those guys would sit around and come up develop ideas for their shows.

In the end nothing ventured nothing gained but a few minutes of time where I was entertained without cost or much effort.

I did find their riff about holding the door funny. Larry saying "your close enough for me to hold it" rung true with me. Always wonder if I am going in a door ahead of someone what the appropriate time is to wait. Is the distance from door the standard?

Also laughed at the "Kramer like" visit to to Sugar Ray Leonard's house only to find themselves at wrong house.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Seems like the right place to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpRO39X1rTk

3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I guess I'm in the minority to think that these are pretty genuine and not "oversold." I think Seinfeld's laughter is natural, especially when you consider he's hanging around good friends/fellow comedians/guys who make him laugh. Also remember that these are all about 12 minutes long. There has to be at least 2-3 hours of footage edited down to those short webisodes. You think Seinfeld faked laughed his way through all of these? Man, that would get old.

Anyway, I think they're fantastic, and I look forward to the next season.

BTW, my favorites from the first run-through are: Alec Baldwin and Brian Regan.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's some funny stuff.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm with you. I don't think Seinfeld was overselling anything. I agree with Xan that the bit about the kids int he bathroom wasn't funny.
    But Seinfeld scolding Ted Nancy in the diner was great.

Haven't watched the Brian Regan one yet. I like Regan. He reminds me of someone I know.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tell you what, Richards knows how to tell a story. The story of the bum who beats him in chess is golden.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Joel Hodgson episode cracked me up.
    I think I was laughing harder than Seinfeld.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just gave that another watch. No laughs.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought of the UK version immediately when I heard about Seinfeld's version. The web series is called "Carpool" and Robert Llewellyn is the host.

Here's a link on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/carpoolUK

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I've seen some of that. Not sure why anyone's surprised the idea was lifted from a British TV show. Has happened regularly.

You know, "The Office", "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?", "American Idol", "Kitchen Nightmares" ad nauseam.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Goes both ways. Plenty of American shows copied by British TV as well:
    Who's the Boss
    That 70s Show
    Married with Children
    Law & Order
    etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted