1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comebacks that kill your story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 6, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I guess we all have stories like this, so maybe some of you would like to share.

"Our" indoor football team was down by 22 at halftime Saturday night and still down 19 (43-24) as the fourth quarter got rolling. Playoff game, so I started writing the obit.

Then it's 43-31 (spider-sense begins tingling at this point) and, just two minutes later it's 43-38. I quit working on the obit.

The lead changes hands three times before the end, and the home team wins 52-50.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/34123_mari06.shtml

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Jose Canseco's grand slam led the Oakland Athletics to a 4-3 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series.

After Dave Stewart held the Dodgers to three runs and six hits over eight innings, Dennis Eckersley worked the ninth for the save.

4. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

An unexpected comeback I can live with, because even though scrapping what you wrote sucks, unexpected comeback gamers are usually easy to write. Lots of easy-to-identify key plays and whatnot.
    What I hate, in the example you described, would be if the comeback fizzled late in the fourth quarter and the home team lost by, say, nine. Then what do you do? Stick with the obit or re-write the whole thing?

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I forget which writer back in the '80s announced in the Fenway press box, "No lead is safe in this park, and I don't mean on the damn field!"

6. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Oct. 17, 2004, sitting in auxiliary press seats in right field at Fenway. It's closing on midnight, have column about Yankees winning the ALCS ready to go. Might have even sent it, can't remember. Everything went black after that.
    Totally can't recall the next few days.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Michigan up 30-13 late in the fourth quarter against Miami, Fla in 1988.
    Miami scores 17 points in the last 5:23 to win 31-30. Column was shot to shit...

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I love this line:

Dude, they gakked up a 12-run lead. Go ahead and call it the worst. We promise not to judge.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

HOUSTON -- The New York Mets have to look at Mike Scott again, this time from 60 feet 6 inches.

While Scott haunted the Mets from the Houston dugout, Astros left-hander Bob Knepper pitched a complete-game two-hitter, ensuring Houston's three first-inning runs were enough for a 3-0 victory to force Game 7 of the NLCS.

Scott had Houston's only two victories in the series before Wednesday and has allowed New York one run in 18 innings. The Mets were aware of him throughout Knepper's unexpected masterpiece, a performance Scott could top today by frustrating the Mets one more time and sending Houston to its first World Series.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the faux AP lede somebody submitted a few years ago from Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS.

11. 2003 NLCS, Game 6.

12. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Covered the Buffalo Bills-Houston Oilers playoff game in 1993. That was a ton o' fun. Thank God it was a day game, at least.

Draft saved Draft deleted