1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Come hell or high water -- Vegas wants a pro team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Aug 23, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know I'll take some heat for this but Bettman is an American-centric commish. He doesn't recognize nor does he care about the contributions that Canada makes culturally or economically to the NHL.

Yes, he plays lip service but to argue that the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Atlanta Thrashers make the same contribution to the league is laughable .

His fucking around with Balsillie and his attempt to buy the Penguins only proves what Canadian hockey fans have known all along: Gary the Weasel doesn't give two shits about Canada.

Any league who would choose a market like K-C or Las Vegas over another team in SW Ontario doesn't have a clue what the game is about. None.

And as I've said before, if Bettman presented his expansion business plan as a MBA thesis, he would have flunked.

And I'll throw out a couple of names who could do better than Bettman: Colin Campbell or Brian Burke. Because at least they know the game and Burke would put the likes of Wirtz and Jeremy Jacobs in their place. Real fast.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Why?

The thread was about a sports team going to Las Vegas. Last time I checked that included the NHL.

There are a whole bunch of people (Americans and Canadians) who don't care one iota what happens to the Sonics.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Just to get back to this, the Bolts got bought but a group headed by Doug MacLean and including Florida-based real-estate developer Jeff Sherrin. The deal includes about 5.5 acres of land around the Forum, which is where Sherrin comes in.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

5.5 acres isn't a whole lot of land. You sure that number's right?

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It's the number listed on the press release. It's probably going to be a lot higher than 5.5 acres, what with the developers apparent penchant for luxury living spaces.

Draft saved Draft deleted