1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Come get your pardons while they're red hot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Jul 19, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed... that was petty partisan politics; the likes of which took several days to be seen again

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

The only pardons I hope happen are that of Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If any of the Abramoff scum gets a pardon I'm gonna puke. I think Milkin has done his penance. I wish there was a rule that a president couldn't issue a pardon for up for at least 8 years after a conviction.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wait till after Election Day. It'll be a virtual roll call of cronies, criminals and accomplices. Probably a blanket one that starts with Cheney and goes all the way down to Lynndie England.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps, but there's little indication that'll be the case so far. Things change of course, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Also, Libby wasn't pardoned. It's still on his record. His sentence was just commuted.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Remember, if he pardoned Scooter, he could be forced to testify before Congress. The pardon will be coming in mid-January.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It was an abuse of power when Clinton freed all of his cronies. And it would be if Bush did something similar. But he hasn't. So it hasn't been an abuse of power in eight years.

8. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I guess the vice president's chief of staff doesn't count as a "crony." (And spare us the contention that there's a net-effect difference between a pardon and commuted sentence -- anyone playing that card forfeits his right to use the term "Clintonesque word parsing" in perpetuity.)

And, as has been pointed out, the Bush-hasn't-abused-pardons posts could make for some fun reading on the morning of Jan. 20. Or -- considering that there's precedence -- Christmas Eve, which brings us to ...

[​IMG]

I dare any righty to find a Clinton "crony" pardon on the level of this (or on the level of the Libby commute, for that matter) -- all members of a presidential administration, some or all who could have potentially testified against the man who issued the pardons.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wonder if he'll pardon Marc Rich.

Oh wait...

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Thank you Lamar, for making the correct point.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i guess that's what you get for not reading the entire thread before posting.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Exactly.

I'm sure it will occur, but I'm not going to start bashing a guy for actions that I believe will take place.

Draft saved Draft deleted