1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Come drink with me (and famed others), across America.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Re: Drunk Across America

I wonder if I can get my company to pony up money for me to spend at this journalism conference and networking opportunity. At least that's how I'll put it on my expense report. Say, does anyone know a beancounter-approved term for "bail money?"

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

All right, things are shaping up nicely.

Alley, will let you know about Houston. That's going to be my tightest spot, on account of some NASA stuff I have to do, but hopefully we can work something out.

DC (IJAG's birthday) and Chicago lunch look like good little gangs forming. The more the merrier. Don't be shy. But if we get more than eight in any one group, someone will be seriously injured by night's end. Sorry, that's just the deal.

Post here or PM me if you want to join in the brouhaha.

Good times.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

First, I'll need to read a good book so I'll fit in. Can I borrow "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" when you're finished with it?

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I always put bail money under "tips and tolls." No receipt required. I do usually have to spread it out over several expense reports, though.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jones, why do you hate the Midwest?

Sadly I can't make Chicago.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Jones, why do you only like Houston in Texas?
    Houston is a terrible, terrible place that is really far away for the rest of us in Texas. Please consider adding another place in Texas.
    Also, sadly I will not be able to make Chicago. I believe that is a 1,500-mile plus drive for me.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Fuck adding more North American dates. Jones, you need to expand your audience to Europe. I'm thinking you skip the other dates you have in April and go to either Dublin April 13-15 or the French Riviera the next weekend. I'd gladly treat you to drinks for your troubles of getting over the pond.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is on my "To Read" pile...

But you are welcome to Green Eggs and Ham Back Bacon.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

If I'm not feeling too lazy, maybe I'll make into the City for one of Jones' stops. I would probably end up bringing the wife along as she is more fun than me anyway.

10. JeremyPeppas

JeremyPeppas New Member

I am pleased as punch to have played a small role in getting Jones to Little Rock for the Literary Festival. Much of the credit should be given to Warwick Sabin, who convinced the organizing committee to take a Canuckistani sportswriter after the official date had passed.
    More information on the festival can be found here: http://www.arkansasliteraryfestival.org and it also includes a partial list of the writers who will be attending.
    The festival is for a good cause; the Arkansas Literacy Councils, a group that recruits and trains volunteer tutors to help adults improve their basic reading, writing, and math skills. All for free.
    As far as the schedule goes, Jones's session will most likely be on Saturday, but I'm not privy on the when, at least not yet.
    As far as the festival goes, Thursday is the unofficial kickoff as NPR sets up shop to broadcast the Book Guys. Friday has a hoity-toity martini party sponsored by the Junior League. Nikki Giovanni will also be speaking that night.
    But for Jones and any SportsJournalists.commers in attendance this will be known as beer and BBQ night, since I assume no one will be up for sipping martinis with trophy wives, but on the other hand, most are MILFs. Hmmmm...
    Part of the deal to get Jones here was beer and BBQ and I will fulfill my end of agreement.
    Saturday is when most of the sessions will be taking place. If enough SportsJournalists.commers commit to making an appearance, we might try to arrange a special session on sports writing.
    Saturday evening Arkansas Times will be sponsoring Pub or Perish at the Peabody. The event is described as "Open-mic readings by Festival authors and local writers." It is open to anyone and e-mail David Koon at david@arktimes.com if you want in.
    Oxford American is sponsoring a party after Pub or Perish.
    I'm working on getting a discounted hotel room rate for anyone wanting to come in.
    Should be good times, PM me or my super-secret SportsJournalists.com handle for more info. I can also be reached at jeremypeppas@hotmail.com.
    Much thanks to Jones for taking the time to come down, it is very much appreciated.

Jeremy Peppas

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I think I'll end up getting a hotel room for DC on the 7th. Anyone who wants to crash with me and will buy me a drink is more than welcome.

but you'll have to get out when I get out in the morning.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hell's bells, there's no wrong way to read that last line.

Draft saved Draft deleted