1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Come drink with me (and famed others), across America.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

Okay, okay -- at risk of incurring message board wrath, I've asked Moddy and Webby for permission to post details of my upcoming book tour. Please note that I'm not doing this to sell books; I'd just really like some company for my nights alone on the road. (Not the kind of company I used to pay for, either; I'm a married man.) So, if I'm coming to a town near you, and you want to hook up for drinks, we shall. I hope that some of these stops will turn into mini-sj.conventions. I believe New York already has a few folks on board. And the more the merrier.

I'm still waiting for some media interviews and stuff, so times are tentative.

Tuesday, March 6: HOUSTON. I'm yakking at the Museum of Natural Science at 6:30 p.m. Not sure how long, maybe a couple of hours. After, I'll be looking to roast.

Wednesday, March 7: WASHINGTON, D.C.

Thursday, March 8: WASHINGTON, D.C.: I have an event in the morning, but I think I'm good the rest of the day.

Friday, March 9: NEW YORK CITY: I'll be wetting myself at the Barnes & Noble at Lincoln Center at 7 p.m. Will probably have to have a fairly early night, on account of an early morning...

Saturday, March 10: NEW YORK CITY: I've got some TV poop at the crack of crow's piss. But I'm hoping Saturday night turns into a serial bender. All welcome. Rumor has it that board legends hockeybeat and spnited will be among the revelers.

Sunday, March 11: NEW YORK CITY.

Monday, March 12: CHICAGO: This will have to be an afternoon gathering, I think. I have a radio interview from 9 till 11 that night, and then I leave at six the following morning. Maybe the Cheesecake Factory on the Mile.

Tuesday, March 13: DENVER: I'll be at the Tattered Cover that evening. After, miles high, I imagine.

Wednesday, March 14: SAN FRANCISCO: Books, Inc. (in Mountain View), in the evening. And then ready to roll.

Thursday, March 15: SAN FRANCISCO: Pretty busy during the day (lunchtime at Stacey's), but then another openish night.

Wednesday, April 17: OTTAWA, at the Writers Festival. Should be a good tear-up.

Friday, April 20-Sunday, April 22: LITTLE ROCK, at the Arkansas Literary Festival. Joe, my board pal from Nye's, will be visiting, and I hope a few others. I have plans on leaving Little Rock a smoking hole in the ground.

More dates to come.

As an added incentive, for every drink I consume in the company of ess-jayers, I'll be donating a couple of bucks to a pot, split between the Van McKenzie Scholarship Fund and sportsjournalists.com. (I believe that's the plan for the real conventions, too.) I'd encourage my drinking friends to do the same, or at least throw a little bit into the kitty. Hopefully we have a good chunk of change by the end of the road.

All right. I'll be at the corner seat at the bar. See you all then.

2. Re: Drunk Across America

Make your way a little closer to the border south and I'm there, Jonesy.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Drunk Across America

The Arkansas Literary Festival? I giggle...

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Fuck, Jones!

I thought you were hitting NYC earlier in the week. I can't get that fucking Sat. night off -- State basketball finals -- and I'm heading to AC on Sunday.

FUCKED!

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sometimes the material just writes itself.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Little Rock is a smoking hole in the ground.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

There's one night I might be able to make (though there will be no Keith's available, shucks), but it depends on my travel plans.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wait. Spnited's covering a PREP event?
    That's better than the Arkansas Literary Festival....

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You incurring the board's wrath? Pish. You could put a headshot of Hitler in your sidesaddle pic and type underneath it "my dreamboat" and most everyone here would crawl across 10 miles of hot sand to hear you piss in a tin cup.

I'd do D.C. if you were there on the weekend before you're there, because I have an event there. Fuck it, maybe I'll go anyway. I'll see so much D.C. in the next two weeks I'll be able to call out people's names as I flip them off at the Mixing Bowl.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

No slappy, I'm the high school editor (we don't call it Preps in NJ) in charge of the coverage.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

All right, how about Friday, spnited? I can pull an all-nighter and go on TV looking like the guy in Batman after the make-up scare.

All of you hemmers and hawers, make it happen. We only live once.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

I could also be convinced to go to AC on Sunday, I believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted