1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comcast's modem rental fee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, May 7, 2014.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

They're not rectifying their error that negatively affects you, so why should you rectify their error that negatively affects them?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I do find it interesting that they're "making an honest mistake" in not turning off the channels you canceled but are "intentionally trying to dick me over" by making another mistake.

Our perception of intentions is completely based on how the result affects us. Couldn't possibly simply be "two oversights."

3. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

You guys gotta remember that the people on the phone with you don't know you. They're probably not paid well, either, and certainly aren't making enough to dick you over intentionally just because.

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I'm sadly reassured to learn Comcast isn't just charging me random fees. For the past six months or so, my DVR has come with an HD fee... even though I do not own an HD-capable TV.

But whoever suggested being persistent about credits is correct, at least in my experience. Also, ask for the customer-retention department. Those are the folks who actually have the authority to make changes.

I'm probably going to switch from cable-only to a package soon. What charges should I be aware of and make sure to get eliminated in advance?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's the trick --on the phone (and on the email confirming your agreement) everything will look fine. Then as the months go on, charges will start finding their way in.

If you're going to the whole package, the one thing they are very murky on is what kind of options you have for Internet speed -- can you get the highest speed with a stripped-down version of cable, or is that only for the highest tier? I still don't know what the fuck the true answer is, to be honest, I just get them to a point I can live with.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Trying to charge me a modem rental fee once was an oversight.
    Doing it again after I called and got them to fix it might have been an oversight.
    Doing it a third time -- via a method that a number of people nationwide have reported encountering -- is not an oversight. That's something fishy. At the very least, it's incredibly annoying to have to keep getting it fixed.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Knock on wood, I've never had a problem with Comcast in the seven years I've had them.

8. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Are we talking contracts or promotional prices? Or, maybe it's limited to certain markets.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

At least Comcast has a bare bones deal of very, very basic cable for like $30 a month. Or did. And I'd call once or twice a year and threaten to cancel and they'd always figure out a way to lower my bill or give me more channels for the same money.

Moved and am now in Charter country. Cheapest I could get was $50 a month.

10. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Time Warner is the absolute worst. More expensive than any other cable company and they don't care if you complain.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I just went a couple of rounds with Comcast last week. They turned off my service for not paying the bill, even though the bill wasn't due for four more days. At various points in conversations I had with them, they told me there were issues with a late payment (not true), lost or broken equipment (not true) and that they hadn't turned anything off, that the problem was on my end.

Finally I got a guy who agreed with me and fixed it all. Then I asked for a promotional deal and he cut about $40 a month off my bill, and gave me HBO.

All was only well for a few minutes, though. The cable immediately came back on, but the Internet was down for four more hours. When it finally came back, I had to re-register all my equipment, and that wasn't working either, so that took two more hours.

In the beginning and the end, I hated Comcast. For a few moments in the middle, though, I was a satisfied customer.

Draft saved Draft deleted