1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comcast to buy ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Feb 12, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If we do, we have never approached its ceiling.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And now looking to lock up: DirecTV and Dish?

http://mashable.com/2014/03/26/possible-dish-directv-merger/?utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable+%28Mashable%29&utm_cid=Mash-Prod-RSS-Feedburner-All-Partial&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Is Plaza Cable still around?

[​IMG]

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

"Today, we move on," Comcast CEO Brian Roberts said in a statement. "Of course, we would have liked to bring our great products to new cities, but we structured this deal so that if the government didn't agree, we could walk away."

What I infer from that is "We don't want to go to any city where's the existing competition. We want to be the only game in town."

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If it's not on the WWL or FS1, Dodger baseball on the tube may be a thing of the past in SoCal now.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If you came of age in the 70s or 80s and had the right combination of super stations you could have five teams that had every game broadcast, every day.

Those stations needed cheap programming and baseball was it. Now that super stations have gone the way of the dodo bird. It has turned off an entire generation of fans.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think this actually helps the chances of a Dodger deal. TWC believes it has way more leverage than it does, especially with Comcast joining forces. Pretty soon they're going to have to recoup what they put into the deal. My guess is they and drop the price and something happens in the next couple of months.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. I was thinking that maybe the sides were just waiting for the merger to come and have the problem take care of itself, but now they realize they need to get something done themselves. Of course, there was the story in SoCal that the Dodgers are getting their money either way, so it isn't hurting them that much; however, they have to realize that their own fans not being able to see the games locally can't be a good thing long-term.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

In 1987, my mother finally relented and got cable in our house. At a time when ESPN was still fitness shows, roller derby and Legends of World Class Wrestling (How many fucking Von Erichs were there for crissakes?) I still got at least two baseball games a night with WOR airing the Mets, WTBS airing almost every damn Braves game and local TCI airing Pirates games. The Pirates network by far was the most bare bones. It was a public access channel that had a scroll of "St. Anthony's Fish Fry, every Friday. YMCA Youth baseball...etc" for 21 hours then switched to the Buccos. The minute the broadcast was over, bam, right back to registration info. for the St. Sammy's Fish Derby.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I remember when the Houston City Council decided who was going to get the cable franchises for the city. They broke Houston up into five different zones and invited bids. When the bids were let, three of the winners promptly turned around and sold the franchise at a huge profit. The other thing that the council did at that time was to set the maximum fee structure for things like deposits, bad check fees, cable modem rental, and the like. Again, they asked the providers to submit what they proposed to charge for these various items. They looked at the list of proposed fees, took the highest submitted number, and announced that was the maximum that could be charged. All the other providers promptly set their fee at that number, no matter what they had proposed before that.

I wish I could say that cable regulation has gotten better since then. We're cable cutters, we get along on DSL, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Video plus an antenna. I miss seeing some things, but I don't miss them much and if I want to see them I generally manage to. Screw the cable company.

Draft saved Draft deleted