1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comcast to buy ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Verizon is Fios, Ragu. We got a huge deal on all telecommunication when we first signed with them. That's long gone, of course. Verizon Fios was insanely popular and they stopped installing it because it cut profit margins.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not holding my breath for a price reduction. Sometimes I worry about a few companies eventually owning everything and crushing all competition, but that's a capitalist economy.

Comcast has started their own regional sports networks in a handful of markets, as well as has controlling interest in NBC Sports Network. I do suspect their long-term vision is to go head-to-head with Fox and ABC/ESPN.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I doubt a price reduction is on the way - figure they don't have that 45 billion lying around Philadelphia somewhere. The math works out to $1,363 and change per customer on top of their current charges for service.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Not cable, but you can get some serious discounts from DirecTV when you move.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

In Rhode Island, Verizon is trying to cut into Cox's market share, and Cox has had to offer more deals, bundles and competitive pricing as a result. However, they only do it if you call up and try to cancel your cable; they haven't just docked everyone's bill.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

The cable companies will really screw over the people when they cap monthly Internet bandwidth as a way to kill online streaming. My wife and I easily use 200-250 GB per month. It was closer to 300, but she's got unlimited 4G LTE on her phone with no speed throttling, so she streams a lot from her phone to the TV.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Same here. I did DirecTV for a couple of years when I lived in a Charter market. But they became increasingly difficult to work with, charged me for premium stuff I never actually requested and were just an overall pain. Wouldn't go back to them unless there was no other option.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bradley's right.

The only thing getting cut from this deal is Internet speed, availability, and entertainment choices.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/13/comcast-time-warner-deal_n_4783598.html

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have Xfinity now and we don't have a data cap.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02/13/industry-shifts-may-aid-comcast-in-takeover-bid/?_php=true&_type=blogs&hp&_r=0

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The problem the cable industry faces in cutting bandwidth use, which it would dearly love to do, is that consumers/voters would complain and more importantly, so would large media firms. It'd be a pretty easy antitrust case to prove, but antitrust is always a matter of political will far more than law.

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

It's hard to say what a company will do. I have Cable One, which isn't a giant, but it's done the opposite. The reason I cut Dish as my TV provider and stuck with Cable One as an Internet provider is because of the increasedd data cap. It was 100 GB per month. Last summer, they bumped it to 300 (speeds also went from 10 Mbs to 50). It's why we were able to cut the cord. And if I go over the cap, there is no speed throttling, and there are no overage charges. But, if I do over three times in a 12-month period, I'll be forced to upgrade to the next tier plan for another $25 per month. I'm shocked that instead of stifling Internet speeds, the company has blown it wide open. So who knows?

Draft saved Draft deleted