1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comcast - may you be out of business in 2 years

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Jan 3, 2008.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

;)

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Apparently, at Comcast, once you call to disconnect your services -- no matter when you call -- your Internet service is cut.

In an effort to work ahead on a move, I called Comcast yesterday to disconnect my service -- not transfer, which I think would be a different deal altogether -- for a future date. When I got home last night, I couldn't sign online or check my e-mail or visit you kind folks. And the same thing happened this morning. So I called Comcast and the lady, who was extremely helpful and the reason I'm back up now, said, "Well, as soon as you have a pending disconnect, your Internet service is automatically suspended."

What kind of crap is that? I'm still paying for it, but I can't use it. So we went around the system and took the "pending disconnect" off my account, and I've got to do the whole disconnection process in a couple days. That's not a big deal; it didn't take more than a few miles on the highway -- that's where I do most of my business. But what a dumb policy. Maybe there's some reasonable logic behind the action, but it's obviously way over my head.

I'm not joining the anti-Comcast crew, because I've never been treated badly by the customer-service people, but it's certainly not my favorite company right now.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The reasonable logic for it is that they get to charge you for a service they didn't provide for a few days.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh, OK. That makes perfect sense. Thanks, Armchair.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The problem most have with Comcast is their monopoly-based price gouging.

Bitching about the so-called "service", when called for, is simply an added bonus.

6. butch

butch Member

Had a similar situation a few years back with a medical bill. Had all the proof that I paid on time and had faxed all the paperwork in twice to prove it, with a copy of the check and the date of the bill (which was after the check had cleared). A collection still went on my credit report, which is really, really not good, so I raised hell with the company. Finally explained to them, after hours and hours of being constantly passed around on the phone, that I had pulled out the phone book and was about call an attorney right now. Immediately a supervisor was on the line and fixed the problem in about 30 seconds.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Oh, I'm having the same problem with Cingular right now. Bill is paid off. Cingular is telling me it's paid off (At&T, whatev) and the collection agency is telling me I owe $180. I told them I was reporting them to the better business bureau and our state attorney general's office.

Some woman got on the phone and told me that what they were doing wasn't illegal that by not paying them, I was being illegal. I said, "I have a zero balance with the company this bill is for. You're just trying to get more money out of me."

I called the company back and the guy I talked to confirmed what I was thinking the entire time. I'm pretty sure the company was trying to scam me out of more money. The worst part? It was about twice what I owed Cingular in the first place. Now I have to wait two weeks for AT&T to send me something to fax the collection agency to get them off my back.

The collection agency is still calling me an average of 4 times a day, though, and I'm about to start answering it and making the person on the other end cry every time.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I've had a dish for almost three years and will NEVER go back to Comcast. I love my dish.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I have no Comcast complaints, but that's probably only because I get the basic service for $8.60 a month. The next level up is $50 a month and I'm not giving them that kind of money just so I can watch Dirty Jobs, Frisky Dingo and Metalocalypse.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Now that I know there's a show called "Frisky Dingo," I can't imagine NOT paying that.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Time Warner cut the Game Show Network out of its regular cable service, so my grandma dropped the service to basic. Now she gets four channels and a bill for $6 a month, and she listens to the Yankees games on the radio.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Cox Cable is just as bad.
    Our HD-DVR box got all effed up so I called them to get a new one. The guy brought it, then started fucking around with everything and next thing I know, there's some error message on the TV. Guy says it will go away when the signal gets sent to the box in an hour or so.
    Message doesn't go away. I call Cox.
    I explain to her what's happening. She says she'll call the service guy to come back, then says its the tv.
    I tell her there's no fucking way it's the TV because it's cost $3,500 and is two weeks old.
    I ask her for the number of the local Cox office. She tells me they don't have phones. I tell her she's full of shit. She says there are no phones at the store. I ask her what happens if one of the employees has a heart attack or the building catches on fire. She says I don't know. I hang up.
    The message pops up and down for a week or so and stays up only when I change channels. I try Cox again and talk to a lady who actually listens to me explain what is wrong then we get the problem fixed.
    Dumbshit cable guy never put in the proper codes in the box.
    Now all I need is for Cox to upgrade so I can get a 1080p signal.

Draft saved Draft deleted