1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Combined running NFL Weeks 11, 12 and 13 thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I thought that with the trio of Thanksgiving games coming off the heels of this weekend's games, it might make sense to double up.

As always, I will give you my picks (in italics) and best bets in bold. These selections are for fun, only. So do not hold me responsible if you lose money. Should you have a successful day, a generous tip would be gladly accepted.

Week 11
    The only game that stands out to me is Redskins-Cowboys. Can the Redskins consistently run the ball without a passing threat? Washington rushed for 296 yards against the Jets because Gangrene cannot stop the run or defend the pass or rush the passer.

The questions lie at quarterback. If Jason Campbell can build on his 23-of-34, 215 yards and three touchdown performance, the Redskins could be the team that gets hot in the second half and experiences playoff success.

I think that when the next TV contract(s) are negotiated, ESPN may ask for flex scheduling. And that the Redskins-Cowboys game can be pointed to as a prime reason. No offense to the Titans and Broncos, but that came holds no attraction, other than seeing the continued development of Vince Young. Other than that, it's a fairly unimportant game. 'Skins-'Boys has NFC playoff implications.

Dallas lucks out with ESPN not having the late season flex. Otherwise, conceivably they could have played two games in a span of 68 hours and 15 minutes, if my math is correct.

Week 12

Packers-Lions and Ravens-Chargers jump out at me as interesting games. I dig what both Green Bay and Detroit have done this season. I'm not sure just how good the Lions' defense is and it's going to be interesting to see if they can slow down a good Packers offense.

Ravens-Chargers piques my curiosity because I want to see if either one of these offenses can consistently move the ball.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Combined running NFL Weeks 11 and 12 thread.

Are you not anticpating any injuries this weekend?

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

There are always injuries. It's the nature of the sport.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But how can you make picks without such an important piece of information? You mentions Colts as a "best bet". Would it still be one if Peyton Manning went down?

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

They're playing the Falcons, so yes.

:D

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Not sure why, but I have a feeling the Dolphins might beat the Eagles.

I think the Lions are frauds; it wouldn't surprise me to see them go 2-6 in the second half of the season and possibly miss the playoffs. Having said that, Favre and the Packers usually suck in Detroit. I expect Green Bay to win a close one, 23-19.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Mr. KYSW jokes, but yes, I'd take the Colts over the Falcons, with or without Manning. I think you sort of have to look at the teams. Atlanta is terrible. And I can't see them hanging with the Colts.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I fixed it. There were some coding issues because I am an idiot.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Which I saw so I removed my post, but damn you're quick with that reply button. :D

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

No joking was meant on my part. The Falcons wouldn't stand a chance in hell even if the Colts were without Manning.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree with that.

I also thought the Bills might have a shot against the Pats, but with Marshawn Lynch down? Not so much.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't think the Eagles are good by any stretch of the imagination. But I just can't see a rookie quarterback winning in his first NFL start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.