1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Combatting league takeovers of access

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Babs, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Babs

Babs Member

I'm curious how others have handled it when things that used to be open to all media have been taken over by the league for its own exclusive coverage (web, TV or video). Do you try to go around them? Focus on other things? Just not even try anymore? And do readers wonder why you don't have the coverage you used to and complain?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What specifically are you talking about here?

3. Babs

Babs Member

I don't wish to say.

But I'll make up a hypothetical -- let's say the MLB and the All-star game. Exclusive coverage just for MLB.com and MLB channel, with everyone else there at the event, but pretty much SOL in terms of access. Like they would be in the press box, but couldn't go down to the locker room. Again, just a hypothetical in case the question above was not clear. What would you do as an outlet in such a case, either in your coverage that year, or in future years?

4. Moderator1

Again, without being specific, we can't help. The all-star game is a huge event with tons of media. You have to compare apples with apples and no information from you doesn't allow us to do that. This is like your question earlier on media relations. You were bitter about something but wouldn't say what. Sorry, can't help in those circumstances.

5. Babs

Babs Member

Here's hoping that other people can think in more general terms. This is the same board that told someone a week ago to give LESS information about their situation. Wisely.

6. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Babs, you've got to provide more specific info because the hypothetical doesn't paint enough of a picture.

Even if there's no access to the locker room, players/coaches are typically made available in some sort of mix zone, where the same rules as the locker room generally apply -- athletes usually aren't obligated to participate and can hide out on the locker room rather than having to resort to hanging in the trainers room until the media clears out.

The league has to provide some degree of access or else they have no reason to even bother seating you in the press box. Might as well just convert those seats into luxury boxes.

7. Moderator1

Jesus, Babs, no offense but you cannot possibly be this thick. THAT situation was totally different. You don't understand apples to apples.
    What I would have done as an SE would depend on the situation. I don't know the situation here. There IS no set plan for access trouble. I dealt with it on the high school level and on the professional level as an SE and everywhere in between. The answer was never the same. I had a high school cut off players. I had an issue with NASCAR. Different cases, different solutions.

8. Babs

Babs Member

It's a major pro league and that's all I want to add at this point.

9. Moderator1

Well, good luck. Someone help Babs, please. I am clueless.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Babs, I have not heard of MLB, NBA, NFL or NHL denying access to the point you seem to be implying.
    What other major pro leagues are there?

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Granted, my dealing with pro sports has been limited, but when I have dealt with major pro leagues (NFL, MLB and NHL), they've bent over backwards for me. Something I was somewhat tickled about since my SE days were with a very small weekly.

The only general advice I can give is if there's a problem, talk to someone or have your superior talk to someone. Like Moddy said, not much else a person can help with if we don't have more details.

12. Babs

Babs Member

It's a first in my experience too. A smallish event, but the start of a bad, bad trend. They gave out credentials, but the credentials got you basically nothing. Meanwhile, the league's people had all kinds of exclusive access. Total waste of time for anyone else.

Draft saved Draft deleted