1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnists Worth Reading

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eagleboy, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Why? He is decent, but he is nothing special. Put it this way. He hasn't made me forgotten Vaccaro.

I thought Colin Stephenson or Dave D'Alessandro were better choices to take Vaccaro's spot. Maybe either one can replace Izenberg.

2. Patrick Reusse
    Jim Souhan
    Tom Powers
    Randy Galloway
    Bob Wojnowski
    Jason Whitlock

Dan Barreiro was my favorite columnist when he worked for the Star-Tribune. Thank God he has a blog on KFAN.com. He is missed at that paper.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Wojo's a much better read than he is a listen on the local sports talk station. Nails-on-a-chalkboard bad.

4. Wojo's voice is beautiful. I have heard worse like WFAN's Chris Russo.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

BTW, read his take on Mickelson's meltdown Sunday at Riviera.

Dead. On. Nails.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Barreiro was very good.

7. I bet if he worked in a Chicago newspaper or in New York, he would be a big name nationally. The funny thing is that he was born and raised there and he is a Chicago sports fan. I always wondered why he never had any interest in writing for the Chicago Tribune or the Sun-Times. He would be great there. With that said, I am glad he is in the Twin Cities.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He has a very smooth political voice and the weekly "We're Done As A Society" segment is some of his best stuff.

9. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

i see a lot of print writers.

how come online writers don't rate?

nobody from espn.com or si.com makes the cut?

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I use online just to keep track of games in progress. I never read the other stuff unless someone links to it here. When we had a thread a few months ago in which we built our dream writing staffs, I picked a few online people, but I was just basing it on their previous newspaper work.

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Skip Bayless. One of the few you would drive five miles and pluck down 50-plus cents for.

12. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

A name that won't come up a lot simply because of location is Rick Cleveland with the Clarion-Ledger (Jackson, Miss.). Great storyteller. Also, a great guy, but trust me I'm not just throwing his name out because we've shared several long car trips from Jackson to Starkville (and back) and many drinks.
    The dude can really write.

Draft saved Draft deleted