1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnists Worth Reading

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eagleboy, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I tried to do a search on the topic and couldn't find anything real straightforward on the subject, so I figured I'd ask: which columnists are worth reading everyday, either for their writing style, viewpoints, sarcasm or humor?

A lot of the people I used to/still do read haven't been held in much high regard around here for one reason or another, so I figured I'd try to come up with a consensus. I vaguely recall Canzano being mentioned as a good name and remember that Cowlishaw was talked about highly in another thread. Anything else?

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Does it even need to be said? Ah, screw it ... This will not end well.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I like the question because I'm always looking for new people to read that I might've missed. But the reason I say it won't end well is because there will be people who get all uppity about other people trying to determine what it means to be "worth" reading, which happened the last time someone asked about the best beat writers. I hope we get some good answers though.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I like Terry Pluto, Christine Brennan, Jemele Hill and Posnanski (off the top of my head).

I'm quite sure I'll get slammed for those, so ya know.

6. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Didn't mean to open a can of worms here. I was just hoping to broaden my horizons a little bit. I typically read the people in my area and know I'm missing some great stuff out there, so that's why I ask.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Like I say every time this comes up: Geoff Calkins in Memphis.
    Thank me later.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Dwight Perry of the Seattle Times is pretty good as well.

Rial Cummings from Missoula is excellent.

9. Plaschke, Wilbon, Geoff Calkins in Memphis and Whitlock immediately spring to mind.

10. ned racine

ned racine Member

the 4 w's...

whitlock...whicker...wojo(det news) wilbon

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Depends what you want. Are you looking for someone who's really opinionated or who blows you away with language? If the latter, don't restrict yourself to sports columnists.

I could say Mark Whicker is great, and he is, but what makes him great is that he is so consistently good, which is not easy. So you'd probably have to read him four times a week to understand what I mean.

A couple columnists I like a lot from smaller papers:

Sports: Bob Padecky, Santa Rosa Press-Democrat

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPORT10&profile=1055

Not sports: Clayton Hardiman, Muskegon Chronicle

http://www.mlive.com/columns/muchronicle/clayton_hardiman/

12. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted