1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnists at the same paper who don't get along

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 26, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Detroit USED to have a pissing match several years ago -- a good one, actually, in Joe Falls and Jerry Green.
    When Falls was at the Freep, I remember Green wrote a trivia contest column. Falls wrote a column in a conversational style giving away all the answers. Of course, they were all wrong.
    And when Falls moved to the News, he tried to get Green fired -- something he almost succeeded at until Green took the News to court and won. Not a lot of love there.

2. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

Heard Bernie speak at a conference about 10 years ago. He made a big point about not taking on extra gigs beyond a radio show and not entering contests.

3. danews

danews New Member

Lupica's at it again.
    He shows up to Wimbledon without being assigned to it. Filip Bondy is already there doing columns and gamers. Lupica demands to write. Chaos ensues.
    With so many travel budget cuts, how many US papers can afford to have TWO columnists at Wimbledon? And how many Daily News readers want to read TWO columns about tennis?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If the paper is gutless enough to allow that *** wow. No one there to say, "No, Mike, ain't your gig. Enjoy the tennis, do not write a word?"

5. danews

danews New Member

There is not one person at the News who will say "no" to Lupica.
    And there is not one bit of proof that he brings readers to the paper. This crap goes on because he is friends with the publisher.
    But I hear people on news side are sick of his diva ways and have started voicing concerns to Mort, so maybe change is on the way. How can he justify slashing budgets and then allow this? Unless Lupica paid his own way?

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Doesn't Lupica have his own travel budget, separate from the department's?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Even if he paid his own way, it is not his assignment.
    Does this situation at least trouble the SE, even if he is powerless to do anything?

8. danews

danews New Member

The sports editor has to deal with Lupica calling him early in the morning to scream that his column logo wasn't prominent enough.

Here's Lupica's column today. It reads like it was taken from a media guide book. No color, no life, nothing interesting, could have been written from Connecticut.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2008/06/26/2008-06-26_this_is_where_venus_williams_can_eclipse.html?page=0

And here's Bondy's. Tell me how two tennis columns from Wimbledon serve NY tabloid readers?
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2008/06/26/2008-06-26_andy_roddick_ousted_in_2nd_round.html

9. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

It's not even close as to which column is better.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honestly, two columnists AT Wimbledon? Something tells me Lupica needs the Wimbledon dateline than the dateline needs his byline.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I am particularly enthralled by Loopy's 45-word lead. Riveting.
    Reading this leads me to one conclusion: Is TSR broadcasting from Wimbledon on Sunday morning?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Someone told me Lupica has "first refusal" on all columns... I have no idea if that's true, but given what's happened recently, I wonder if it is...

I know a few places that have that, but it's rarely abused.

Draft saved Draft deleted