1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnists at the same paper who don't get along

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 26, 2008.

1. cvincent40

cvincent40 New Member

I do not see Mitch Albom's name

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know if he and Sharp get along. Albom usually keeps to himself. I've been at games where most of the media tables are packed and Albom is sitting at a table by himself.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Mitch spends all his time at Morrie's and in St. Louis with Mateen Cleaves so he doesn't have time to get into fights with co-workers.

4. Mizzougrad96

I know a desker who worked there for two years and never saw Albom in person.

5. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

it's quite possible cvincent40 is talking about columnists who worked at the freep before drew became a columnist.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Rooting for Sharp or Albom... hmmm, glad Rosenberg gets along with everyone...

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And if he is, there's no doubt that those columnists were far better liked and respected than The Dwarf.

8. Mizzougrad96

I'm not sure Albom is better-liked than Lupica.

It might be close.

9. Mizzougrad96

As far as I know, Albom has never gotten a fellow columnist fired or forced another to quit, but I don't think Lupica has ever crossed a picket line.

10. i would imagine bernie miklasz and bryan burwell do not get along at the st. louis post-dispatch. burwell wins national awards while miklasz wins hot dog eating contests. you never see them interact at any point.

11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I hear Pluto the sports columnist doesn't think Pluto the religion columnist is good enough to work at the Plain Dealer.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've sat next to Albom at a few events; he always seemed like an agreeable enough guy. I know sometimes at press conferences that hasn't always been true.

I've bagged on Albom for a lot of stuff he's written, but at least as far as the way he personally acts, I can't say anything real bad about him.

Also, as far as I can recall, he's never called out -- either by name or by implication -- any of his fellow columnists a-la Mariotti.

That, to me, is almost unimaginable; I would imagine, columnists at almost all major metros have to have an agree-to-disagree policy.

If Columnist B wants to write a column on Tuesday disagreeing 180 degrees with what Columnist A wrote on Monday, well go knock yourself out -- a good point-counterpoint jousting match can pump up readership -- but you never, ever, ever ever ever, attack the credibility, impartiality or ability of another guy on your own staff. Unless you're a total jackass, that is.

Draft saved Draft deleted