1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnistosaurus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That sounds like a formula for being just one of the chorus to me, many consonants. Becoming a respected and (more important) enjoyed local voice is an honor and an honorable status. Of course, not too many newspapers are interested in that status today as institutions. And let's face it, most newspapers don't want sports columnists (or any columnists) with marketable identities. People like that want to get paid.

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Just like being the preeminent attorney or president of a bank in a smaller community would be. Yet, for a variety of reasons--social and financial-- graduates from most "elite" schools* aren't rushing back to their hometowns to take those jobs, either. I'm not disagreeing with the premise that-- assuming you believe this non-major city focused version America is ideal--these jobs are valuable. I'm just saying the reasons young people don't view them that way is not journalism specific.

* Which may be a weak proxy for "best and brightest" but you get the point.

Draft saved Draft deleted