1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist writing about daughter's theories on the September 11, 2001 attacks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. X, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

A columnist in these parts recently wrote the following:

"My 18-year-old daughter, who attended the lecture with me, told me things are even worse. She's convinced nefarious individuals in Washington conspired with Osama bin Laden to have the hijackers crash the planes into the World Trade Center so as to justify our going to war."

(The previous paragraph was about a lecture by an author "who alleged that the Bush team basically stole both of the last two national elections and that the GOP is gearing up to do the same in 2008," and his theory that “the war in Iraq was never about capturing Iraq’s oil, but rather to take Iraq’s oil OFF the market.”

(The capital letters are the columnist’s.)

The daughter's comments are not referred to again in the column.

My questions/comments -- I think it would have been far better to make reference again to daughter's comment, at a minimum to mention how it shows the cynicism of some people today.

I also think it would have been good to have debunked that theory.  I'd love to know her proof of that.

I think there is also an issue of making your daughter look bad to thousands of readers.  Although this is a very Democratic area and comments like those are popular among some, I think others might think a theory like that is ridiculous.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Sounds like his daughter watched too much "24" this season.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

From a journalistic standpoint, I think he's got to reference it again, one way or another, and not leave it hanging like that.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Was this from the NY Post?

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Anybody have a link to the column?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html

We get less than 5% of our oil from Iraq. Oil has gone up a hella lot more than 5% since I bought gas for 99 cents a gallon in early 2002.

In 2009, the truth will come out.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Riiiight.

8. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

The column is not on the paper's Web site, which has very little content.

This was published in a Los Angeles-area newspaper, obviously not the New York Post.

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I was kidding about the Post because the guy used his daughter in the story.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Thanks for showing your true colors, HalliburtonHenry.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Next week, the columnist will explain his daughter's theory on Bigfoot being a super-intelligent creature from another dimension, Proctor & Gamble's history of being a company devoted to spreading Satanic worship and how The Matrix was a documentary, not science fiction.

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted