1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist salaries

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Mar 31, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I will agree about the worth of a metro columnist. One with opinion, one that will report.
    It's a connection from the reader to city govt., to bureaucracies and to neighbors. It is a service not satisfied anywhere else.

2. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

None of the columnists you mention are making $500K or $400K from their newspapers. Believe me. Galloway could be making $300K.

On the other hand, many, many columnists are making more than their sports editors.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got a feeling in a lot of cases its less than you'd expect. The Bay Area has lost about a dozen sports columnists in the last decade and I can't imagine newspapers NOT using that as leverage against someone seeking either a raise or the chance to make the same amount as he or she used to.

4. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Le Batard also gets six or seven figures from ESPN, right? Plus, he has a radio show, I think.

How much is Triple-Dipper raking in for the same stuff spread three ways?

5. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Ridiculously untrue. Not even close.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That one was in the papers a few years ago... Tribune Co was trying to hire him away by combining money from Orlando and South Florida and Miami had to pony up to match...

Has it been renegotiated since? Fuck if I know...

7. It's completely true. It created quite the uproar when it happened.

8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

OK, go on believing. Like it matters.

9. Mizzougrad96

Where some of these get misleading is columnists have deals with the paper that include radio shows. I don't know if that's the case with DLB, but it has been with several other top columnists.

I know of one case where a columnist was getting $300K from a paper, which was split as half for a column and half for a radio show at a station owned by the same company that owned the paper. The station was eventually sold but the paper had to continue to pay the columnist even though he was no longer doing the radio show.

This was in Brills' Content a long time ago.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought Brill's Content was a very good mag.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Brill's Content was a long time ago.

12. Mizzougrad96

Unfortunately, that's true... I loved that magazine...

Draft saved Draft deleted