1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist - Richmond Times-Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I think every paper has one of those; at least, my last paper did. Guy bitched so many times they finally invited him in to be a part-time copy editor. Guy lasted one (1) night.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yea, there's generally one, but he called on deadline. Fucker!

Most of those people won't make it. They stare at the stories for hours to find the errors. We're lucky to get 15 or 20 minutes.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I loves me some Westham Parkway real estate. Great neighborhood.

Hey IJAG, do you have guys over in Beijing? Phelphs' older sister, Hilary, was a swimmer at Three Chopt Tech.

It was ocassionally filled in the 1970s, when UR still played Division I FB against WVU, Va Tech, Southern Miss, North Carolina, Wake, etc. Since the drop to I-AA, it's about 10-12K too big, hence the move and downsizing.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Interesting. We have a stringer over there who's doing some great work for us. I'll pass that on to my boss.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jay Weiner, formerly of the Strib, is covering for the TD. My last act as SE, and probably my best act (not a long list), was to nail that one down. He is doing a great job, not surprising given his ability and experience.
    I did not know that about Ms. Phelps. Interesting.
    And if the new columnist can afford that neighborhood, he's getting paid a lot more than they were paying folks when I left. That ain't cheap turf.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Unless they're actually building the stadium in Gilpin Court.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Gilpin has its own TV show now. I think its called Crime360.

My wife does home health visits there sometimes. She refuses to go after 11 am because no one is awake before noon that you don't want to run into. Actually, the amount of cops that patrol there make it better than you would think.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

MrsExpendable and I got lost there back in the late 1990s -- before the increased police presence. I'll never forget the look this one guy standing in the middle of the street gave me, because he had to move out of my way.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Moddy, who makes the final call on this hire? Is this Trosky's decision or is the executive editor the one?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hell if I know - my guess is it will be a team effort. Only thing I know for sure is it won't be me!

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

So we can't say "YOU'RE HIRED!" to you. Nuts. :)

I gotta send a resume and at least put my foot in the door.

12. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Unless I'm mistaken, the closing date for applications is Sept. 30.

Any word yet? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.