1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist - Richmond Times-Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm not bragging but it hasn't been anything special to me. I've never had my ass handed to me covering the NFL. In fact, I've found that so many guys are paranoid covering the pros that they would rather share information or travel in herds than to stick their neck out on a story.

2. BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit Member

Could somebody maybe post links to some of Mr. Phillips' best work here?

On the one hand, there's something to be said about having experience covering a major beat on a daily basis, as opposed to just being an intern and having a safety blanket behind you. Not an NFL expert myself, but for baseball, you've got to be able to anticipate spring training cuts, 40-man roster moves in September, what minor league moves mean as the trade deadline approaches etc etc. You need to be on talking terms with agents for the Winter Meetings etc.

But on the other hand, there's something to be said about taking a chance on a youngster who's really talented and enterprising. I've seen my fair share of established, "experienced" reporters on major beats follow the herd mentality and just tank it because they're no longer as hungry as they used to be. Experience can be quickly picked up, and when that happens, the right youngster will have an incredibly high ceiling on the beat.

If we could see what Mr. Phillips is capable of, then maybe we can traffic in facts rather than impressions.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If only there were a tool where we could enter a search topic and have items come up...

4. I'm gonna start one and make a fortune.

Thanks for the tip, ijag, I'll give you half of what I make.

5. OK, have you broken anything on your beat? If you haven't, in my eyes, you're getting your ass kicked. It's one thing to write nice features, gamers and enterprise pieces. It's another thing to go into the locker room and watch everyone else - TV and radio included - following up on the story that you broke. Doing, or not doing that consistently - that's the difference between being average and being good.

6. imjustagirl

Just remember us little people. Don't give it all to Byrnes.

7. Hey, I said you get half.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mr. Phillips' work on the Redskins beat will be available at www.inrich.com - not sure when he actually starts covering.

9. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

While I too have no dog in this fight -- other than trying to avoid incurring the wrath of the esteemed IJAG -- I have to say this situation is a sad indictment of the newspaper business that exists today. And if the former part-timer's name was Bob Smith and not Michael Phillips, not somebody's good friend or some effin' stud, I'd feel exactly the same way.

I've been full-time in this business for 15 years. That's really not a long time, despite what my graying temples say. And when I was coming off a part-time gig with a paper MUCH smaller than even the incredibly shrinking T-D, I would've had to blow about 20 people just to get an interview for a full-time job. The place was populated by experienced, professional journalists who taught me a lot about how to actually do the job. Nowadays, not so much.

I'm certain that Michael will do a fine job with the Redskins, especially because he won't have to live at Redskins Park and he won't have the pressure of breaking any stories. He's a good enough writer. But even if he has an incredible resume, I find it painful to think that the only thing you need to impress an editor enough to get a big-time promotion today is some hard work on the desk (who hasn't done that?) and the willingness to work for peanuts.

There used to be merit in working your way up the ladder and proving yourself worthy of something special like a pro beat. Now it's all the guys who have done that who are getting pushed out the door.

10. imjustagirl

You need to hang around more if you think I'm "esteemed." But I will say this: This is not your father's newspaper business. I have my own qualms with how things happen, the changes the business is going through, and anyone who couches their issues with this as that problem don't bother me at all.

It's people who trash someone whose work I've read every day for well over a year without any idea of who he is or what he does that I have issue with.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

His hard work went well beyond the desk, which has been noted here.
    It has also been noted that the business sucks nowadays. Many, many times.

Hard work is one thing. It's good. Hard, quality work and the right attitude count for something, too.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

The answer to your question is yes.
    Now as for covering the prep vs. the pros, you tell me which is more difficult. Running up and down the sidelines during bad weather, keeping your own stats, in some cases taking your own photos, trying to write a game story where a kid is not embarrassed or exploited because he is playing a game for the fun of it?
    Or sitting in a warm press box, eating free food, getting play by play and watching the game on television, getting typed quotes after the game, and sitting around talking about everything from the car you want to buy to how awful your editor is?
    I think the young man, who is pretty good I might add, will be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.