1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist - Richmond Times-Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Then we will agree to disagree about just about everything in your post. But you are aware that mentioning the line "a move like this has the potential to send a strong message to all those folks who may be just as talented and hardworking and even MORE ready for the job in question - like maybe someone with NFL experience who was just laid off - and it's a slap in the face." is contradictory to you saying you're not bitter, right?

2. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

I'm not bitter, IJAG. I don't have NFL experience and I haven't been laid off. I'm actually very lucky, because I have more job security than a lot of people in this business and I'm fairly comfortable with where I'm at and what I'm doing.

Also, I've played that game of working a major beat without the resources necessary to do it as well as I could. Many times. Good for some OK clips, but all around an unenviable position when you know you're capable of doing more.

Like a couple of other posters, I'm simply "playing devil's advocate" and "lamenting the circumstances." This is indeed a sad business.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Timing is everything.
    The move with Paul Woody was a logical one and he's a good guy in many ways. Besides, he was kind of in that role anyway.
    As for the other move, you're looking at moving a talented person who was at the right place at the right time.
    There's nothing mystical about covering the NFL. And as far as breaking stories, only the ones who know how to operate away from the herd mentality of journalism and actually talk to athletes and executives, come away with the big prizes.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Whatever you say.

As you might know if you've seen my posts, I try very hard not to be confrontational on this board -- or anywhere else, for that matter. I enjoy a good discussion of opposing viewpoints (argument, for lack of a better word) and have no problem expressing views that might be contrary to those of others, but I try to do it in a polite and respectful manner (unless I get really pissed off, but that's a whole other issue) and I try to avoid pissing matches.

That said, I take exception to your judgmental put-down of someone you likely know zero about. If you have something constructive to add, by all means do so. Otherwise, there is no reason to take a shot when you have no clue who you're putting down. Surely you can admit that one can be saddened by a situation without being bitter. If not, perhaps you should consider that possibility.

Bitter? No. Concerned about the future of our industry and everyone working in it? Without question.

And once more, with feeling: I'm not at all saying this hire is going to bring the newspaper business crashing down into a pile of rubble, nor that it is a sign of the apocalypse. I'm merely saying it's another move indicative of a disturbing trend.

With that, good luck Mr. Phillips. I wish you all the best. You too, zebracoy.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Let me weigh in one more time, not that young Michael needs me puffing him up any more. He'll have to send me a check if this keeps up.

One thing about him needs to be noted - he went into his original job at the TD with the attitude a lot of people need to take in these difficult and often unfair times.
    I did a double take when I got his original resume. Say what? Does he realize this is a part-time job? It wasn't your average PT resume. I called him in and actually said, "This sounds weird but I'm almost afraid to hire you. You are beyond this job." And he said thanks and noted the job market wasn't that great. He needed something (his internship at MLB.com was ending). If I hired him, he'd promise me one year with one exception - if MLB.com offered him something full time.

Nothing was beneath him. He came in and did the typical part-timer work. He took calls. He edited roundups. He punched agate. Whatever he was asked, he did it. He didn't scoff at a job that was, quite frankly, beneath the level of experience he already had. He was happy to have a job and it showed. It led to something better, without having to move.

Again, the business is cruel and unfair right now. Many others like him won't get that chance. Many others are out of work. But griping won't make it better or open doors. If you want in, find something, anything and go in with a smile and a work ethic and your talent will reveal itself.

6. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Don't have a dog in this fight, and I certainly don't wish anyone ill will. However, if I understand this correctly, this individual has never covered a pro beat, or even had a full-time job at this level, is that right?
    If so, I tend to agree a 6-figure daily plugging a part-timer into a pro beat looks either incredibly lazy and/or incredibly cheap. What kind of signal does that send not only to an astute reader, but to the people this writer is about to cover? I don't know, maybe neither party cares.
    Awful tough to sell such a decision in these times, when it's a buyer's market for scores of highly qualified, veteran journalists who are looking for work. Have to admit, such a move is at least questionable.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Buck, timing is everything. In reality, covering the NFL is a helluva lot easier than covering preps. Everything is given to you from food to quotes. If you can write a good prep game story on deadline, , you shouldn't have any problem covering a 1 p.m. NFL game on Sunday afternoon.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And the reader doesn't know Michael Phillips from Michael Whatever. If he does a good job (and he will), they will notice. I can't imagine there's one single reader going, "My God, they hired a part-timer!!"
    We give a shit about that stuff.
    They do not.

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Geeky confession time. I was just skimming through this thread, noting that I'm going to have to look up the boy wonder on the Redskins beat and I got to this post and (mis)read it as saying "I can't tell you he's covered an NFL beat for 160k before."

I was walking around telling people "Holy shit, Richmond is paying it's Redskins writer well into six figures."

Then I read it again.

Now I'm having to go around saying "Sorry, I was smoking crack again."

That's why I don't make $160k as a Redskins beat writer. That's why I so can't work for the Plain Dealer...

10. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

This right here describes most every good small newspaper sports reporter I've ever worked with. And only partially.

Also, happy 18,000th post Moddy. Now you're legal, right?  :D

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If they were paying pro beat writers 160K, I'd have not left. :D

12. Umm...you're way wrong here. Covering the NFL is NOT easier than preps. If you think it's all about "getting everything given to you" and "covering a 1 p.m. NFL game" you're gonna get your ass handed to you on a daily basis on an NFL beat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.