1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist - Richmond Times-Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bob Lipper is retiring. I think this is his final week. Very happy to see my old paper is willing to add to the staff.

Sports Columnist

Richmond Times-Dispatch seeks a sports columnist who can write authoritatively about the issues and news of the day with a passionate, reasoned voice.

We're after a talented, versatile reporter and writer who can capture the news and personality of Richmond-area sports. We want a writer with style and substance who can analyze and entertain--and clearly state an opinion. We also want someone capable of doing video columns for our website and handling multimedia assignments.

Our columnists cover everything from high school sports to the Redskins. We cover Virginia, Virginia Tech, Richmond and VCU among the 14 Division I colleges in the state. Be prepared to give readers insight on the ACC, NFL, NASCAR, IRL, minor league baseball and running. Some assignments include travel outside the region. This position also requires some general assignment work.

A complete application consists of a completed application form, cover letter, resume, and electronic copies of your 5 best columns. Apply online at http://jobs.mediageneral.com for Job ID# RNI-000918

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Moddy, how long has he been in Richmond?

3. Moderator1

I want to say 28 years - reasonably sure that is correct.

4. 93Devil

Wow, good for him.

I didn't realize he was such a tradition.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'd like to think they kind of had to. Once Lipper goes out, that will leave them with 10 full-time writers.

You move any of those people to columnist, there's no way those left could pick up the slack.

6. 93Devil

Shoot, I don't know. I noticed that their NASCAR writer did a fair job on the R-Braves the other day.

Would Paul Woody be the #1 guy now?

7. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Out of curiosity, how many columns does this position write a week?

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

:p
    Not bad for someone who hates baseball, huh?

Jay, generally five columns a week.

9. thebigd

thebigd Member

Justa girl, how do you like working for Mr. Trosky?

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Is Chauncey Durden available?

Some awfully good columnists at the RTD over the years, like Millsaps, Jerry Lindquist, Lipper, Woody, John Marcom; lots to write about in the region.

I'd think there should be an inside candidate, ready to step up from beat reporting, John O'Connor seems to have a great feel for the area.

Should be a seller's market for the RTD, given the state of the industry, a lot of talented people looking for what appears to be a secure position in a very attractive and affordable part of the country.

11. Moderator1

Markon.
    O'Connor was not interested in doing columns when I was there. That may have changed.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bigd - how do you like working under him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.