1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist opening in Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love how folks think Jemele should have been fired or unhireable for writing frankly about oral sex on her blog.

I assume you think worse punishments should apply to any sports writers or columnists caught drunk driving or cavorting with hookers or something similar.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

But dude, that last set of stuff you mentioned never happens.
    Never.

3. busuncle

busuncle Member

Not to veer further off topic, but I think Jemele deserves credit, not blame, for being one of the few writers to have the guts to challenge FSU's plainly concocted "Lyme disease" cover story.

(Yes, she was forced to backtrack in a subsequent column, but that doesn't mean she wasn't right the first time.)

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That stuff doesn't make a whole gender's job tougher to do, which the blog did. Those things are accidents or weakness, not willfulness. Not parallel.

And she was criticized not necessarily for questioning the Lyme theory, but for her cracks about mental illness. But yeah, she's a great person, if y'all say so.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If AWSM wants to sanction her, fine. Male sports writers doing things that make my job harder is a daily occurrence.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good for The Sentinel... Bad for Page 2...

Between Hill and Scoop Jackson, Page 2 must be in negotiations to pry Rob Parker away from Detroit...

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Like what, Ace? The Plain-Dealer columnists blog about they pick up women or something? Please give me a parallel example.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Writers getting drunk? Sure

Writers with hookers? What? They (the writers) can afford that?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

DUI at the very least calls for a pretty significant and public "mea culpa and I'm terribly sorry for making a complete ass of myself because as an adult with a career, I should know better." And that's the least of the things that should happen. (A drunk driver killed my father when I was little. I'm pretty hardcore about punishing that particular crime.)

But sports writers with hookers? Wouldn't that take, say, disposable income?

10. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

Don't know Hill. I do read her, and think she has lifted her game considerably in Orlando. I suspect ESPN saw what the recruiting gurus call "upside." She usually gives you an interesting or different perspective.

It's a fantastic opportunity for her, no question.

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

You guys will laugh me out of the building, but you know who would make a great WWL columnist?

Jay Mariotti.

Writes long. Comes strong with opinions. Name recognition from ATH.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And it would improve the quality of both media outlets...

Draft saved Draft deleted