1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist opening in Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 23, 2006.

1. dcdream

dcdream Member

First I want to applaud Jemele for getting this position at ESPN. She will do an excellent job because of her EXPERIENCE. When you scroll at her resume, she held a major beat position at the Free Press.
    Last time I checked the resume of columnist Rick Maese at the Baltimore Sun, he has never held a beat position. (FYI. I like Rick as person and writer).
    So before you make the experience argument, think before you post.
    For what ESPN is looking for, she is a great fit for the readership the WWL is targeting. You don't have to have Lupica, Albom or Bob Ryan experience to handle the duties ESPN is giving Jemele.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Is ESPN starting a regular "spit or swallow" column?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What do you mean "starting?"

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wait. She never did that. At least that's what she told The Big Lead.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Wow, I knew this thread was going to take a terrible turn, but congratulations, these last thre or so posts took the corner at top speed!

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For the record, I was trying to steer dexter's little reparte into a more generic ESPN bashing, but I may have pressed the gas too hard and run into the ditch.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm told, quite reliably, that the figure reported here is rather exaggerated.
    Jemele is doing well. Not THAT well.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I guess everyone assumed you had bookmarked the 3 million f'in stud threads. :)

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sometimes I wish the denizens of this board would just wish one of our own well and move on.

Not that I never expect that to happen.

Congratulations, Jemele....

10. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Jemele is a delight. She's bright, brave, eager to learn. Her career trajectory should be a model for any ambitious sports journalist today. Master every platform, the good franchises will find you.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which is worse...bashing the hell out of her, or praising her far beyond what her track record merits.

12. ...hit it right on the head. She's good people and will do well.

Draft saved Draft deleted