1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist opening in Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

How about those of you faultless, talented, oppressed white males complaining about Hill's ascent direct your energies somewhere more positive? Like, say, preparing and sending a resume and clips to the Orlando Sentinel?

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Hey, her getting that job doesn't affect my life one bit. More power to her. I don't wish ill of her, or grind my teeth in my sleep over it, or think about it much at all.

I just don't think she's very good.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I wont even go that far. Not good, not bad... unspectacular... But if she can get that money out of the WWL, go for it...

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Because the Orlando Sentinel's table of organization is top-heavy. Lotsa chiefs, not enough patrolmen.

And as Montezuma's Revenge noted, she's not very good. There are better columnists working at the UCF student paper.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Jinga, while you're avatar pick makes me want to throw up in my mouth, I'm glad someone else sees what I was trying to say.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No, the bad ones were actually very, very bad. They weren't magnified, just presented for what they were.

She's a very ordinary writer who will take controversial stands, just because she can.

And whether you like her or not, the fact remains that if she had been a guy, the Sexton column and/or the blog would have resulted in dismissal or demotion.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I saw what you were trying to say. I just think for most of the sports print journalists, it's not applicable.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Anybody who thinks this is good for Jemele is correct (although hopefully she won't get chewed up and spit out). She should invest wisely ane enjoy her run.
    Anybody who thinks this is good for the business is wrong. If she had Wright Thompson/Dan Wetzel talent (sorry to use 2 white males as an example) then bully for her. She is not experienced enough and not talented enough to justify this much money and exposure. That's why it's a bad deal.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry, but we can't use "not experienced enough" to describe her. SHe's worked at three papers and has had enough experience by now. She might have breezed through the steps in terms of time there, but she's had plenty of steps.
    No more free pass on inexperience.

10. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

Because the Orlando Sentinel's table of organization is top-heavy. Lotsa chiefs, not enough patrolmen.

What does that mean? Lots of ways to read it.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

More people to tell you what to do rather than actually do the work?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Any columnist who can make that kind of money anywhere is my friend. I've never read word one by Jemele Hill, but I will say this. News organizations make all kinds of incorrect personnel decisions. They rarely go $400,000 wrong, however. Hill's work must have some appeal to someone.
    As for the other unpleasant issue on this thread, as an old white guy, I feel compelled to say there's no reason Hill can't fit a demo ESPN was seeking to fill AND be a good writer. If there's one thing I've learned as a job seeker, it's there's a damnable surplus of qualified candidates for every freakin' job in the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted