1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist opening in Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

no problem. This place would be boring if we all agreed. That's the beauty of message boards (and being anonymous. :p)

I just think she's...well you know what I think.

by the way, I have your blog bookmarked and it's a good resource. Thanks.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess making fun of mental illness is a good way to make it to ESPN. Somehow, that doesn't seem facetious as I look at it.

3. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

Damn. Every time I want to bail on this thread I get pulled back in.

You really think ESPN thought she was great? She was hired because she was great? Really?

no chance.

4. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

Yep, thought she was great. because she's different and because she'll get the same kind of response -- good and bad -- she gets here.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I've got to remember that line. I'll be needing it. Who am I kidding, I need it now.

This thread has been a roller coaster, and I think I've changed my mind like three times. Maybe this second's opinion will actually last.

Yeah, she made some mistakes. One that really bothered me. Oh, well. I'm not hiring her. And I'm over it. She apologized for it, what else can you ask? Besides, we've all had our pieces we wished an editor had scrapped. No more bitching about this situation for me, one way or the other.

Good luck, Jemele. Knock 'em dead.

As far as this thread goes, I have to go Brokeback: I wish I could quit you (but it's not happening).

Well, if Jemele needed any grist for the mill, we've done our part. :)

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Even on their worst days, Wiley, Whitlock and Christine Brennan -- among others (Scoop at least tries, failed though it is) -- were/are committed to providing new filters through which to look at some complex issue. I wouldn't say they force change, but they have a way of placing some topic on its side and inspecting its parts in a (mostly) thoughtful way. In doing so, they inspire their readers to do the same. They are at least contributing to creating new understandings, if that phraseology is acceptable.

As has been said, the audition is over. She's worked in a few major markets and has had plenty of opportunities to show maturity as an writer who has important things to say. She doesn't seem to have any.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you think Jemele has done anything that puts her in a class with Woody Paige, you're on crack...

This is someone who was the top columnist in a major market for 30 years before he got his shot from ESPN.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm amazed at all the emotion here. Because to me, her stuff normally provokes a lot of ... indifference. It's not compelling. It's not horrible. It's just not very good. But I'm not going to invest any emotion over whether or not I think she "deserves" this gig.

I don't begrudge her an opportunity few would pass up, but I think this is going to prove to be a bunch of ado about not much. I predict that she will gain little following, because there's just not much there there. In the end, she doesn't have a lot to say -- and she doesn't say it in an interesting way.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Unless she does something really bizarre -- which I doubt -- it'll be time to revisit this . . .
    in about six months.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This probably sums up my feelings about this topic better than any other.

Jemele has never done anything impressive, and her missteps are pretty well documented here. I recall her work in Raleigh many moons ago. It wasn't awful, but I saw absolutely nothing inspiring, insightful, noteworthy, jaw-dropping or thought-provoking. So excuse me if I don't get this move by ESPN ... at least in terms of talent.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I started reading Jemele last summer after moving into the Sentinel's circulation area and seeing her name here a few times. I wasn't blown away by some of the work she was doing as recently as last winter. But she has improved so much in such a short time. I mentioned it last month. She brought me to tears and laughter all in the same week.

Some of her columns fail, an inevitability even for the greats of our day, but I prefer finding her rare gemstones mixed with a few boulders.

And, yes, I'm Jemele Hill's uncle Louie.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Cracks me up that this many people care one way or another about this. If only I saw more people as passionate about improving how to break or write stories as opposed to ESPN2's last hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted