1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist opening in Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

Quite frankly, you must have missed her stints on Stephen A. Smith's disaster of a show

2. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

nope. saw him and have seen and heard her frequently.
    She's pretty good. Better than most of the newspaper people they put on the air.
    Would rather see her any day than albom and or loopy.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Quite a thread.

First of all, let's get past this notion that anyone who isn't scribbling for Page 2 is barcoding aluminum cans while Simmons' and Scoop's readers drink from the chalice of life on Monday mornings.

Secondly, if Jemele is so talented, please list a single piece of opinion writing that subsequently made her a must-read. Any of her work that made you care about her point of view. Some vector of thought that elicited change in your own way of thinking. Name one signature work of hers, on which she put her stamp as an artist. Something that made her opinions vital. (The Wyatt Sexton controversy obviously doesn't count). This is what good columnists do.

4. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

Nobody is a "must read"
    Geez, some of you act like what we do matters or something .... ;)

5. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

Pop quiz: Who ended one of their latest columns with this statement?

"Big paydays should be reserved for those who prove they can do something well, over time."

anyone? Bueller? anyone? Bueller?...

you guessed it....the one and only Jemele Hill. She wrote this column LAST WEEK after UCF gave a contract extension and raise to George O'Leary at the end of last football season. Nice timing in more than one way. Gotta give it to her, she's got balls.

It is the most hypocritical column of the new millennium.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Bigspace: That IS an unfortunate quote from Ms. Hill. Shit, now I'm interested. I'm going to read her stuff on Page 2, if ESPN.com doesn't start charging for it by the time she starts writing.
    At this point, despite being her demographic opposite, I hope I like her work. I really dislike jealousy, and I'd really like to like SOMETHING on page 2 now that Jason is gone.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sometimes, I love this place.

Sometimes, Big_Space...I hate this fucking place...

There's a theme here...

OK. So nobody who's relatively new in the business (not true, in this case) should be allowed to move into a spot because, what .. they're not experienced enough in your opinion?

By the way, the comparison of coaches and news people is the ultimate apples and oranges argument.

Anything else, see line two...

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'll have to sue you for plagiarism if you keep saying things like that.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

LJB, I'm trying to figure out somebody that disappoints me more than you on this board at this moment.

Oddly enough, you were on my side of thinking on one end...but horribly off it on the other.

First, it's sports...How many people do you think change a vector of thought, or however you describe it?

Second, how many of our best were doing so when they were younger?

Third, are you doing so...?

Christ.

10. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

Hey, don't get mad at me.

I didn't write it.

"Big paydays should be reserved for those who prove they can do something well, over time."

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Fair enough.

Where you and I and some disagree is that she did it.

See, I think she earned this.

I'm funny that way.

12. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

"doing something well" is always an eye-of-the-beholder kind of thing. ESPN obviously thought she was great.

Draft saved Draft deleted