1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist On Columnist Crime

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

These guys are all New York Times columnists.

2. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

IJAG: You're decision. Believe it if it makes you happy. Happiness always trumps truth.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

At some point, you'd think an opinions editor would put his foot down...

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why?

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Yeah, this whole thing's been great publicity for the Times op-ed page -- very convenient now that you can read those columnists online without paying. And a columnist catfight at a paper allows editors to pat themselves on the back about how they're supporting the vast marketplace of ideas, etc.

6. My (minor) point exactly.
    TimesSelect was, by accounts, a disaster. Now, the content's free and they're whacking each other, with the added benefit of folks helping David Brooks make a further jackass out of himself. What's not to love?

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

This may be a bit of a threadjack, but has anyone actuallly been called out, by name not paper, in a another paper's story?

Happened to me in a game preview from paper in another town. Kind of pissed me off, but then just made me laugh and wished I was covering that game.

8. Used to happen all the time, back in what used to be called the "underground" press.

9. Mike_Sielski

Mike_Sielski Member

Serious question:

If Reagan's and the Republican Party's racism/exploitation of Southern bigotry was so blatant during the 1980 campaign, why did Paul Krugman agree to work on Reagan's Council of Economic Advisers?

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/resource/findaid/ecstaffe.htm

Cheers,

Mike

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If you disagree with a president, are you supposed to leave the country until a new one is elected? If you are offered a job in an administration, does that require you to be in lockstep on every issue -- or can one take the attitude that he can be more effective from the inside than from the outside?

11. Mike_Sielski

Mike_Sielski Member

Frank,
    Frank,

Ordinarily, I'd acknowledge and agree with your point. Of course one doesn't have to be in lockstep with all an adminstration's beliefs to serve it admirably--or to try to change those beliefs from the inside. But in his writing and during televised interviews and panel shows, Krugman has offered a thesis that the Republican Party grew in strength through an insidious race-baiting campaign over several years--which, according to his recent column and several posters on this board, was obvious in 1980. So either the GOP's conspiracy wasn't so obvious in '80 and there's a lot of political/historical Monday-morning QBing going on here, or Krugman decided the race-baiting was something he could live with and now has some explaining to do.

Just my $.02.

Cheers,

Mike

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Come on. I think most of us have worked on newspapers whose editorial pages expressed political views that were the direct opposite of ours. I know I have. But in most cases the opinion people were not considered part of the newsroom, so I did not see it as my problem. Krugman would be a hypocrite only if he had been part of the race-baiting strategy team and now pretended he was one of the good guys.

Besides:

Draft saved Draft deleted