1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist On Columnist Crime

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, Nov 13, 2007.

1. A while back, David (Look! A Man Barbecuing!) Brooks tried to pry Ronald Reagan loose from ol' Dutch's inexcusable 1980 campaign kickoff speech in which he talked about (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) "states rights" in Philadelphia, Mississippi, about half a mile from where they'd dug Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney out from under the dam.
    Well, Bobo's colleagues seem a mite perturbed. Krugman buried him on a blog a few days ago and today, Bob Herbert applies the final cockpunch.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/13/opinion/13herbert.html?_r=2&th&emc=th&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

I love the fact that the NYT seems to be turning into the Village Voice circa 1970. More writer's feuds please!

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

A cockpunch would be less painful to Brooks than the beating that Herbert applied.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This must be wrong. People, of whom many weren't yet born when Reagan was president, keep telling me the Gipper was grandfatherly and warm. In fact Reagan's memory seems to get warmer and warmer as his dead body gets colder and colder.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love how Herbert buried him with facts and logic.

Brooks column was whiny.

5. You talk with a lot of 18-year olds about Ronald Reagan?

Or was that just a bit of message board hyperbole?

6. I believe it was message board sarcasm.

7. The second part was.

He should have just pointed out the fact that Reagan was a soulless old piece of mauve cardigan and left it at that.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Come on. Give the man his props. He had a friendly smile and nice hair.

Can we get a Kanye West verdict on Reagan?

9. Kanye'll just tell him not to get his tummy tucked.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Weak.

11. Stuck-in-bed-after-a-tummy-tuck-weak, or Gary Burghoff's-left-arm-weak?

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Insensitive-toward-a-man-who-just-lost-his-mother-weak.

Draft saved Draft deleted