1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist Name Here

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by poindexter, May 24, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That's what it says in the space where T.J. Simers' name goes, on the dead tree version of Page 2 in the LA Times today.

Come on, folks. I know everyone makes mistakes, but that's a Long Beach Press-Telegram-type mistake. Shouldn't happen to the "World Champion".

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ah, I don't know. That's a single person mistake, maybe a short desk, maybe a bad day. Not confined to smaller papers. It happens even at the upper levels.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Our copy here has T.J. SIMERS.
    I'm guessing it was fixed and you're looking at a first edition.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Perhaps it is a poindexter-type mistake, but did the Press-Telegram not hire you or something?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Nah, its just the paper that my wife reads, and has these type errors on occasion. Sorry if I offended you.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ace is good enough to work at the Long Beach Press-Telegram, dammit.

7. Claws for Concern

Apology accepted.

8. Claws for Concern

The term "World Champion" obviously refers to the LA Times and it also conjures up the name Jim Healy.

Here's a link for those not in the know: http://www.johnspeedie.com/healy/healy.swf

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Thanks for the Healy Web site. He was a classic. I personally witnessed most of Lasorda's blowups. The Kingman performance was the first major league baseball game I ever covered. At that time, I wasn't sure anything out of the ordinary happened. I interviewed Healy a couple of times for stories I was writing, mostly about boxing.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Jim Healy was fantastic. Never missed him at 5:30 p.m.
    And if it did say "Columnist Name Here", Healy would have opened the show today with a Memo to Journalist Bill and play the classic Howard Cossell line, "Who goofed, I've got to know!"

11. Claws for Concern

Debated if I should have started a new thread just on the revelation of a Jim Healy tribute site. I think SportsJournalists.com regulars would enjoy it. Just one question, which topic should get it? I'm guessing Anything Goes suits his talents well.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I first saw that tribute site maybe a year ago or so. It has some clips of entire shows. "THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT'S the sports picture, the complete sports story right up to the moment."

Draft saved Draft deleted