1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist mugs in SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, May 24, 2009.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I've chimed in about the new design changes in SI recently, but another one is bothering me: New column sigs.

SI used to have simple photos, which I was fine with. Then with the next-to-last redesign, they had black-and-white dot-matrix looking mugs, which were a little artsy but still looked like the actual writers.

In the last month, they've gone to an artist's rendition type of mug, which honestly looks like something between a police sketch "the columnist is white, about 6 foot, in his late 30s, with a penchant for pop culture references" and illustrations from a closed courtroom.

I like Chris Ballard, but his current mug looks very little like the last mug they used. If Dateline's Chris Hanson guest-starred on "Prince Valiant" in the Sunday comics, that's what it would look like.

Just bring the photos back. The writers aren't so unattractive they can't have a simple pic with their column.

2. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

SI's probably doing it that way so the writers won't be so identifiable. You know, so that chick that's tormenting Nowitzki -- and Tony Banks before him -- won't bother them.

3. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

Dan Patrick looks like the Joker

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Loved Poz's story on Cleveland - but couldn't believe the SI.com excerpt about Jeff Garcia being ready to take over for Jamarcus Russell if he falters in in L.A.

L.A.?

Draft saved Draft deleted