1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist, Kansas City

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jeffro88, Mar 25, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Any information as to why? Not enough good candidates, McClatchy cutting back? Seems odd to advertise such a great position and then have it yanked from underneath you.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Do we really need an explanation as to why a newspaper job is being frozen?

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

If true, I believe no explanation would be necessary. It just seems odd to advertise such a great position but then have to pull it back within a month of posting.

4. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

That wasn't the one I heard. But now if it is frozen I guess it won't happen anyway.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

First quarter numbers came out. That usually produces the dreaded "expense cuts" at most papers. Jeebus Cripes. The cycle continues.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

From two signature columnists to none in about a year... That's brutal.

I don't mean that in any way as a shot at Mellinger, but I think even he would admit that he doesn't have the notoriety that Whitlock and Pos had. Few do...

7. ReyHeath

ReyHeath Member

They didn't when they started there, either. Sam is going to be great - he's well on his way.

8. Mizzougrad96

I like Sam's work as well, but signature columnists take a decade to develop and are so rare in this day and age that to see two gone so quickly is sad.

9. Charlie_Hustle

Charlie_Hustle New Member

I'm happy to say that Sam's work as a columnist has been growing on a lot of my friends during the past year. I've known him for a long time, and he's a great guy and an excellent journalist. As my friends got beyond the "not enough notoriety" type of mentality and focused on his quality of work, they've come to appreciate what he does.

Kansas City is lucky to have him reporting there.

10. Mizzougrad96

I agree, but I wish they had a big name guy alongside him. That's just me.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

We may be on opposite sides of the Border War... but we're shoulder-to-shoulder when it comes to BBQ joints.

As for Sam, I think he's filling Posnanski's spot quite well, especially in regards to the Royals. If that talent pans out like everyone expects it to, they're going to engulf that town like a bomb. It'd be damn fun to be in the middle of it.

12. Charlie_Hustle

Charlie_Hustle New Member

Definitely agree with you on that.

Draft saved Draft deleted