1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist, Kansas City

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jeffro88, Mar 25, 2011.

1. aradiowriter

aradiowriter New Member

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Bill Reiter as a possibility.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Why can't you believe that?

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Reiter, I believe, is happy with his gig covering Team LeBron for FoxSports.

4. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Myth Albom replacing Whitlock?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll take a Fat Tire... only a newb is going to float that flop.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know a very, very good columnist who has ties to the KC area, who expressed an interest in the job. He was told very quickly that they couldn't afford him. He probably makes just under $200K.

7. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

I'll do it for a third of that.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Same.

9. johann

johann Guest

I bid 1/4.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

It's hard to picture anyone paying anything close to $200K these days. I know there are a decent number still making that money --- in Fort Worth, Detroit, Miami, etc -- but no one is going to pay that money anew.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't have the slightest idea what Pos was making. Whitlock alluded to on one of his podcasts that he was making $350K when he was at The Star. I have no idea if that included his radio show and I have no idea if he was being truthful, although that number would not stun me.

I've been told by several people that Whitlock made a lot more than Pos, which doesn't really stun me.

I would expect this job to pay between $100K-$150K, but that would double if they hired a big name away from another paper.

This is one of the best papers in the country that has lost quite of few of its best writers in the last couple years. I'm guessing right now they're saving a fortune on columnists.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

But they aren't looking at it like savings. They're simply saying farewell and deleting that salary from the budget and letting the bottom line benefit. I think a new columnist there would get $100,000 at most.

Draft saved Draft deleted