1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist, Kansas City

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jeffro88, Mar 25, 2011.

1. jeffro88

jeffro88 New Member

The Kansas City Star is looking to round out its award-winning team of journalists with a top-flight sports columnist.

The Chiefs are king in KC, but our readership is just as passionate and knowledgeable about college sports, the Royals and area preps. Our sports columnists build and maintain audience by writing, blogging and tweeting for the newspaper and our website, kansascity.com.

Qualified applicants will have a minimum of 3-5 years of experience as a columnist or reporter in a mid to major market and be equally eloquent, opinionated and resourceful online and in print.

Send cover letter, resume and clips to resumes@kcstar.com with sports columnist in the subject line. No phone calls, please.

The Kansas City Star does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability or any other legally protected status.

2. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

I assume this is Whitlock's position. Weird it took them this long to put out an ad or did someone get the job and already leave?

3. billikens

billikens Member

I believe Sam Mellinger stepped into the position when Joe Posnanski left, so I'm assuming this would be to fill Whitlock's role. Sam's been the only columnist in KC for almost a year.

4. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I assume recent grads are encouraged to apply?

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

This would be a sweet gig, but I don't think I have the talent.

6. mb

mb Active Member

Big shoes to fill. Literally and figuratively.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Bigger pants.

8. The readership knows the Royals exist?

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Line forms to the left.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

They will in a few years.

I'm just happy to see McClatchy filling a position. KC's taken so many hits in the last few years yet maintained a pretty decent sports section.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll be very curious who they go after.

12. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Any chance they promote from within?

Draft saved Draft deleted