1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist: Josh Hamilton lacks mental toughness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The logic is still tortured and bizarre, as if all sports writers speak with one voice and must punish all sins equally. Much of the defense of Posnanski occurred before the book had even been released, which seems like a logical argument to make, doesn't it? Maybe wait to see what he was going to produce, then rip him accordingly? This column -- a rant really -- has been published, is available for everyone to read, and rightful ripped to shreds by pretty much everyone here. Do you have any evidence that specific posters who defended Posnanski are somehow ripping JJT? We're not some goddamn hive mind, you know. I wouldn't care to assume anyone fixing espresso machines at Starbucks or Caribou Coffee represented your views, or that ALL ESPRESSO REPAIR MEN ARE HYPOCRITES! because some clown in Bradenton or White Plains said that the coffee machines at McDonalds were superior, then was spotted drinking a frappachino.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

He has never been declared "recovered," nor has he ever declared himself thus. The word is "recovering," which is a stupid word in this context because it implies that he (or someone like him) gets better with time. To borrow a thought from his manager, that ain't the way addiction go. The fact is Hamilton is a drug addict and will be one for the rest of his life. The other fact is he pees in a cup something like three times a week. I doubt very strongly he has slipped up, simply because it would be out by now.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He got shitfaced in public and possibly fucked a stranger in a bathroom stall, and the collective response was "way to try not to get drunk, do better next time, buddy."

If he were your tax man or your lawn guy, you'd fire him on the spot. (I don't mean you, dq, I mean the collective you.)

4. doctorquant

If he were my tax man or my lawn guy, I'd in all likelihood never know that he got shitfaced in public and possibly fucked a stranger in a bathroom stall. But your point is taken in a larger sense ... if, for whatever reason, he exhibited this level of "work availability" in another line of work, he'd be out the door.

I remember years ago one of my colleagues, an expert on labor laws and organized labor negotiations, discussing what generally passes for excessive absenteeism. As a general rule, a 5% absentee rate is (or was) sufficient to get you canned. In a 162-game season, that would translate into roughly 8 games. (In the context of that discussion, in a twice-a-week semester-long class more than one unexcused absence would be, by that standard, sufficient for a failing grade).

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Kobe and Ben, just for starters, need your address for the flowers.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Sometimes it seems as though you only read dissenting opinions. Half of those to comment in Stitch's little playground thread took a bat to Joe Posnanski even before the book was released. Now, three-quarters of commenters here are calling Jean-Jacques Taylor a hack.

But you keep burning that straw man.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

In typical jobs you would be allotted sick days and personal days and work 40 hours over five days rather than 162 days out of 181 (not including spring training and the postseason) in a job that requires a high level of physical exertion and athleticism and has a high risk of on-the-job injury but, yeah, otherwise this is a great point.

And if he were an excellent tax or lawn guy who had served me well there wouldn't be a chance I'd fire him for something like this.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pitchers only pitch every fifth day! What's up with that?

9. doctorquant

Don't get me wrong. The comparison's far, far afield (ha!), as you well point out.

And, further, we don't know what "this" is. By far the most likely explanation is that he has a sinus infection that makes it overly difficult for him to see and/or maintain the degree of equilibrium required to do his job. Sportswriters, even ESPN columnists, can slog through their job without a clear head. Professional baseball players? Not so much.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Although I usually dismiss the "he/she never played the game" bullshit as, well, bullshit, it always amazes/amuses/enrages me to see fuckers sitting in nice cushy leather chairs in nice warm comfy offices firing forth with blistering opinions about how much pain athletes can or should endure.

11. doctorquant

LOL, back in my days as a sportswriter, a pitcher (I think he was a starter) for the visiting National League team got lit up and was chased. Local beat writer for major metro daily loudly comments in the press box about "(Pitcher)'s always been a gutless pussy." I remember thinking, "Yeah chief? Let me hear how loud you'd say that if you were in the clubhouse."

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And, meanwhile, those guys are completely and unanimously respectful of our jobs and the particular challenges they offer. Be nice if we could extend the courtesy, you know?

Draft saved Draft deleted