1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist: Josh Hamilton lacks mental toughness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 24, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What player jakes it in the final month of his contract?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

A player with questionable character?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe he's trying to bamboozle management.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Other famous jakers:

Stevie Wonder
    Helen Keller
    Ray Charles
    Oedipus

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Columns read like the writers know something/have been told something and can't/won't come right out and say it.

6. Dick Whitman

Then they are being played by the teams, don't you think? Seriously. Particularly nowadays, where readers are savvier and more distrustful of media than they have ever been, particularly and counterintuitively embedded media, "just trust me" isn't good enough. Shit needs to be backed up. And backed up some more. And a third time.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The last one I can recall falling under this theory is Jere Longman on Lolo Jones, and damned if that didn't play out exactly as scripted after the race.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sounds like JJT got hoodwinked.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Dick,

Honestly can't answer that question, because I'm not there. It is possible, maybe even likely, that you are right. But I've been in that position before, too, where there's information you just can't use, but you have to write something.

And, even though you have to tiptoe, you try to do the best you can. Now, as a guy who's suffered from sinus infections, I know they're brutal. All I can say is I hope the two columnists know what they're doing.

10. Dick Whitman

This isn't to say that the team and, by extension, the columnist, isn't correct in a given circumstance. But as a standalone argument, it doesn't hold together when you have to withold key information.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would say that instead of driving down the Hamilton price tag, they're laying the foundation for explaining why they didn't re-sign him.

12. Elliotte Friedman

That is probably the right answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted