1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist: Josh Hamilton lacks mental toughness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 24, 2012.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Pretty much stock in trade for this columnist over the years.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In fairness, that would be really awkward and uncomfortable!

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Hamilton is a grown man in the spotlight whose life is a work in progress, so, yes, character issues come into play. But he's also a guy whose physical health is much more tenuous than it should be because of his past. The biological and character issues are forever intertwined with Hamilton, so it's a little more complex than trotting out a"he can't play hurt" column that is simplistic and lazy.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I would note that Lebreton doesn't quote a single player and suggest the one telling sentence in his otherwise equally dumb-ass column:

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A very good point.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Some serious sinus infections can be debilitating, can they not? Who gets to decide that?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sports writers!

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Some of the older posters around here might remember people questioning J.R. Richard's mental toughness in 1980 right up until he had his stroke.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It's also a lot easier to suck it up for a shift of columnizing or flying a desk than it is to ignore your condition and play something really fucking difficult --and potentially dangerous -- like baseball, football or any other professional sport.

I've dragged my ass to work countless times feeling like crap, but I'm guessing it was much more difficult for my father to deal with the same thing on a busy day at the firehouse or my wife to take care of the baby while sick.

This column is just dumb. None of Az's favorite word -- context.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

All this proves is that Texas management was able to find a couple of tools in the "reliable writer" shed at a time it's trying to drive down the Hamilton price tag.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did this fool watch Game 7 of the World Series last year?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

My favorite word is actually 'hornswoggle.'

But not in this context.

Draft saved Draft deleted