1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist in Denver

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not yet, but soon. This comes from the Moddy Pipeline:

They're looking for a sports columnist.

Thomas George is leaving the Post. Don't know when. Don't know why.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This could be unprecented, but I'm not going to be the one to say it.

3. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Wow, he's leaving already? He didn't stay very long...about a year or thereabouts, right? Interesting.

Having attended high school in Denver, I read the Post online every day. His columns were fine, but the opinions didn't seem that strong. I guess when you're used to Woody and Kiszla's takes, anything but an absolute stance seems weaker. He recently did a good series that dug deep inside the Nuggets' mess last year, I believe.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

5. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

In what way do you mean unprecedented? As from the columnist position? Schefter just left the Post last year for NFL Network.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i think he means it's unprecedented that moddy, and not he, d_b'ed something

7. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

Figured I'd add this to the right thread.

"Armstrong is good in his notes mode. He's perfect for Page 2. The columns I've read of his haven't been good. Does Anthony Cotton even write columns? He's a decent take out writer. I don't know how that would translate to columns. Terry Frei might be the best of those three.

I heard they were passed over before. But If the Post wants to get another person in before football starts that situation could bode well for one of those three.

As for Thomas George, he was an excellent NFL writer, and that showed in his columns. His NFL columns were always stronger than the rest.

Spinning27, you said he never found his voice. Hell, he never wrote enough to find anything. According to the website, he has written 14 columns in three months. You gotta do more than that."

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

By no means did I read everything he wrote, but I read the Post online regularly (mainly b/c of Kiszla) and I just never felt like Thomas "got" Denver. Maybe that isn't fair. But I know some of my friends at the Post were less than impressed by him.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd heard similar things about George. He didn't fit in there. That's not a knock at him or the Post...

Draft saved Draft deleted