1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist hangs beat writer out to dry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Prince of Persia, Jan 3, 2007.

1. How in the world are you ceding control of the interview by calling their "Coach." That's one of the most ridiculous pieces of advice I've ever heard. "Coach" is nothing more than a title, and nothing less.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Nope. I see a lot of truth in that. The use of "Coach" puts them on a pedestal.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

somehow i think the line of "telling it like it is" was crossed right about here:

"You want to start with me? You'll lose. The next phone call won't be answered. You want to start all that stuff? See how well it works for you. I'm not upset because we lost. I'm upset because you're a smartass. Telling me my kids disappeared, so the word quitter or something of the nature comes to mind."

but then again, you might call me a bleeding heart.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Considering the guy that offered that bit of advice spent 30 years covering every aspect of the New York sports scene, I'll go with his thoughts on the subject. Thanks, though.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I think this is a great piece of advice.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Maybe he was wrong all 30 years, though.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Considering he learned and worked alongside from some of the biggest names in the industry, your asserstion is doubtful.

8. Cowboycane

Cowboycane Member

AMEN. I don't know why it is that way, but it is. Its the same reason you never hear assistants call the head coach by his/her first name in "public"

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Darth Vader trained with Obi-Wan for a while. Just saying.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

You're comparing a person who worked in the industry's biggest, most intense market to Star Wars? You've lost what little remains of your mind.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I may have taken a Zoloft instead of a Zantac again.

No, seriously, I'm just waiting for some random New York third-stringer to be listed as probable with a blister so AP can lead with it, ESPN can trumpet it and Mike & Mike in the Morning can spend 3 hours talking about it.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fudgepack, that you even acknowledge Mike and Mike explains volumes about why you are the way you are.

Draft saved Draft deleted