1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist hangs beat writer out to dry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Prince of Persia, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Was this really necessary?

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-jeffcol1231.artdec31,0,123004.column?coll=hc-utility-sports

2. Kable

Kable Member

It depends. Personally, I have no idea.

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Great, great answer Kable.

I don't think the columnist hung the beat writer out to dry. To me, it seemed like another example of Calhoun's bitching about the media for no reason. The writer's question was legit, and Calhoun started whining and complaining like always. The columnist was simply offering to the readers yet another one of Calhoun's tired rants.

4. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

I would love to have the Calhoun beat. He's such a dick. And a cheater. And a fraud.
    Somebody send this to Gregg Doyel. Would love to see his take on this.

Man, what a douche.

"No, you don't write columns. ... You write [crap]," Calhoun snapped. "You want to start with me? You'll lose. The next phone call won't be answered. You want to start all that stuff? See how well it works for you. I'm not upset because we lost. I'm upset because you're a smartass. Telling me my kids disappeared, so the word quitter or something of the nature comes to mind."

And there's nothing wrong with the Hartford guy writing about this. Who cares? I actually like the writer more for asking the questions and responding the way he did. I sure as hell hope the New haven paper (or whatever it was) writes about this.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Actually, the bulk of the column supports the New Haven guy's assertion that Price and Adrien "disappeared." Adrien scored 4 points in the first two minutes and didn't score again until there was 4:15 to play and only took six shots. That sounds like a disappearing act to me.

I don't think this was a case of hanging the beat writer out to dry. In fact, he says "In this case, you can't separate the Adrien-Price part from the Orzechowski part without ripping the fabric of what Calhoun meant," which sounds to me like he felt Orzechowski needed to be in the story to get across what a douche Calhoun was being.

I have no problem with this and Calhoun's quotes were quite entertaining.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the columnist was just showing how Calhoun treats reporters. Loved that the question started with "talk about" though.

And if he did hang a beat writer out to dry, if it's a beat writer for another paper, I got no problem with that either. If a columnist can rip a coach or player, he should be able to rip a writer.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Column didn't do much for me. No new light has been shed on Calhoun, either.

Some days players come to play, some days their games are off-kilter. Hell, Magic Johnson didn't show up some games. Shit happens.

8. tommyp

tommyp Member

The columnist also has an adversarial relationship with Calhoun; I remeber an incident from a year/year and a half ago where Calhoun called him out after the columnist criticized Calhoun's God-like status...or something of that nature.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Calhoun is a total douche. I didn't read this as him throwing the beat writer under the bus... The columnist at my last job was an unrelenting homer and would rip the beat writers while sucking up to coaches all the time. One time when I was in an argument with the coach, he said, "Even (columnist) said you want this team to lose..." The SID explained to me later what was said... I wanted to kill him...

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Jeff Jacobs is a good columnist, but his obsession for ripping Calhoun is getting kinda tired, especially after last year's column.

Calhoun is a dick? We get it already.

11. good column. enjoyed it.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Would you please keep your word.

Draft saved Draft deleted