1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist: Get rid of team sports in gym class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 10, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I can't say I disagree. It was lord of the flies, as I recall. One of the most traumatic days of my adolescence was the day I had the gall to tell my classmates that I was "good" at basketball. I still shudder about that misstep.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2013/05/reform_physical_education_gym_class_shouldn_t_require_team_sports.html

Experiences in school can have a devastating effect into adulthood. A British study from Loughborough University showed that physical education in school can be so traumatic that it turns women away from physical fitness for the rest of their lives.

Needless to say, my physical fitness did not improve over the course of my school career. Instead, I developed a slouch and the impression that my perfectly normal body was disabled.

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I've never heard of a spelling bee where the teacher named captains who then picked teams, accompanied by shouts of "Don't pick Aloysius till last! He's a moron!"

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Are you trying to balance out your WSJ link with one from Slate?

You're so transparent, you Northeastern snob!

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The terrorists have won. Another example of how soft we are getting
    as a nation.

In our area it's an unspoken norm that varsity athletes are
    excused from gym which to me makes a lot of sense given the amount
    of time they have to put in to their sport. Also allows the freaks and geeks
    to not feel overwhelmed in team sports played in gym class.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Funny how the people who say we should eliminate gym class are often the same ones wringing their hands over the high rate of childhood obesity.

6. Dick Whitman

That's addressed in the piece.

She's not saying eliminate gym class.

She's saying reform gym class.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Skeet shooting combined with gun safety would be a good curriculum for
    gym class.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Columnist is an idiot.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Of course let's not do anything where kids have to compete. Then, when they're welcomed to the real world, they have no idea how to compete at any level. No one will be there in the workplace to give them their trophy or gold star for just showing up and trying hard.

10. printit

printit Member

Good column. I agree with some of her points. I can't go as far as she does with eliminating team sports. It's an oversimplification that, just because she thinks there are plenty of opportunities for team sports outside of school, then there must be. I doubt she has done an iota of research on that point. If she did, she didn't share it in the article. I think a lot of kids, especially in rural and poorer areas, only have school as an opportunity to safely participate in team sports.
    However, her best point is that team sports do not equal exercise. You can "play basketball" by standing around the 3 point line while the good players do everything. That's not exercise. I have long thought schools should have P.E. and recess. Let P.E. be about physical fitness (basically in line with how the author described it) and let recess be about a variety of things, including team sports for those who want to play them.

11. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Exactly. Oh, no! Johnny and Susie might feel bad if they get picked last! Some kids are less coordinated than others. Some kids aren't as smart as others. This ain't likely to change any time soon.

As for this line? Start teaching kids how to do the things they can do, better.

Should we stop at addition and subtraction if that's all some kids are good at? Should we avoid compound sentences if some kids aren't good with commas?

12. Dick Whitman

Why?

Draft saved Draft deleted