1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist, ex-reporter dustup

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Phil Kabler, a longtime Charleston (W.Va) Gazette statehouse reporter/columnist got into a little tiff with Lawrence Messina, a former long-time AP reporter who now does PR.
    I thought Kabler took a cheap shot at Messina in his weekend column when Messina called him seeking verification of a letter Kabler claimed to have received. Messina - in the comments section - claims Kabler left out part of their discussion.

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/201311290133?page=2&build=cache

To wit: that no one (outside the profession) cares no one has commented on the incident.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sounds like Kabler doth protest too much.

Then I was completely floored when Messina said he wanted to see the letter to verify I hadn't made it up. Made it up? Do you think I would have stayed in this job for coming up on 29 years by making up stories?

Well, gee, Phil, I just don't know. Let's ask this guy what he thinks.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014

3. He tweeted today about it being three days and still no apology from the flack.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, just looked that up. Nice of him to claim to have been "misinformed" on that particular incident brought up by the flack, who I doubt will be apologizing any time soon - and why should he? The more Kabler belabours this, the more of an asshole he appears to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted