1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist, Eugene Oregon

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Idaho, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Nice gig if you can get it.

DEPARTMENT: Sports
    POSITION: Sports Columnist
    BEGINNING SALARY: $1,039.60 – $1,145.30 per week
    CLOSING DATE: Thursday, March 1, 2007

The Register-Guard, a 77,000-circulation morning daily in Eugene, Ore., is seeking to hire a new lead sports columnist. This is a high-profile, high-impact job at a respected family owned newspaper in a wonderful community, and our first outside-the-building hire of a sports columnist in 36 years. We're looking for an independent, thick-skinned, self-starting sports columnist with backbone, integrity, and heart; someone who can define our section by giving readers provocative, critical opinions, analysis and human-interest insights three or four times a week in the newspaper, and more than that on a blog. We're looking for someone with the news instincts, competitive nature and cynical streak of an investigative reporter, and someone who can be a team player on one of the hardest-working, most-unified staffs in the country. Coverage focus is University of Oregon and Oregon State University athletics; our top priority is coverage of local sports, including major track and field meets.

At least six years of sports-writing experience for a daily newspaper and graduation from a four-year college or university required; experience as a sports columnist strongly helpful, but so is the ability to provide expert, literate, informed opinions on sports. Our goal is to have our new columnist on the job no later than August 1, 2007. Salary range $1,039.60 – $1,145.30 per week;

Please send an application, cover letter, resume and non-returnable clips by March 1, 2007.

Columnist
    Human Resources Dept.
    Ron Bellamy, Sports Editor
    P.O. Box 10188
    Eugene, OR 97440

Applications are available at 3500 Chad Drive, Eugene, OR 97408, Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. or visit our Web site at www.registerguard.com.

No telephone inquiries please. All applicants will receive a response.

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

Agreed. Great gig. Great area.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Wow, what happened at the Guard?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I just accepted. Don't bother applying.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

expect every person who ever graduated from the U of O J School to apply for this along with all qualified and over qualified applicants who are making 50k or less a year.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I know a guy who knows a guy.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Interesting town. Bring a light windbreaker to shield you from the mist and running shoes to tackle the green paths. Insular, of course, but as the No. 2 paper in the state they do pop up to Portland and Corvallis in addition to all U of O, all the time. Good high schools as well.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think so, JG. If they HOPE to have a hire in place by August 1, they're sure leaving themselves plenty of time for the search process-indicating genuine indecision on their part.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

did you check the chain's jobs site? i didn't but i'd guess it's there.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They aren't a chain. Family owned.

Haven't seen it in a while. In the early and mid-1980s it was arguably the best paper of its size in the nation, but they ran into some financial problems in the late 1980s, early 1990s and scaled back in some ways. In fact, the ME left because he didn't want to make the cuts. Which still left it as an elite paper, just not as good as it had been. Still did some long pieces and ran lots of large staff photos. What's it like now?

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

damn. that's some nice cha-ching.

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

The jjobs ad says they're hoping to fill the spot by Aug. 1. I guess they plan on doing a thorough search.

Draft saved Draft deleted