1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist, Denver Post - Calling the next Woody Paige

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Victor Smalley, Jul 28, 2006.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I'd love to see John Henderson or Bill Briggs get a shot at the column. Those guys are by far the Post's best writers.

2. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Oh man, Bill Briggs is awesome (and I read the Post online every day). He puts out some quality, top notch stuff. You know what? I'd hate to see him stop writing features though, even to be a columnist. His features are too good.

By the way, never met the guy and obviously I'm not him, so none of that.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I should have been more clear. I think the Post would look at Milo, but I was questioning whether they would look at anyone from Longmont or Fort Collins for the job. I think Milo would get a look.

4. OkayPlayer

OkayPlayer Member

I may be wrong but I'm fairly certain the Rocky Mountain News has had a lot of layoffs in the past year or two as well.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You are wrong. It has had no layoffs or made any buyout offers.

6. Ohiowriter

Ohiowriter Member

I'm hearing the exact same things as Mizzou from people in Denver with both the Nuggets and column openings.  I think Spears has an excellent shot at it especially because he has sort of made it known that he doesn't want to return to the Nuggets beat from his NBA columnist position and the brass there supposedly loves him.  They probably don't need a full-time NBA guy, that was a luxury.  If they promote him and eliminate the NBA position then they'd just have to settle the Nuggets beat, which they could fill internally and hire someone farther down the totem pole.

This way you handle two major openings by making one lessor hire.  Sorry, but that's the way the biz works these days.

7. Barbaro

Barbaro Member

I would think Singleton family member Monte Poole could get this gig if he wanted it. I think he's been offered it before, but the dude just never wanted to leave NorCal. Can't say I blame him, although he'd figure to get a nice raise if he made the move.

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

My concern about Spears would be possibly suffering from Stephen A. Smith syndrome: Great on the NBA, awful on everything else.  Could he write coherently about hockey, the NFL, baseball?

Not trying to rip Spears at all, by the way. He's a great guy and a great reporter. It's just that he's so good with NBA stuff, it would be a shame to move him off it and he would probably go through a major adjustment period writing about a variety of stuff.

9. He played D-I football, if that makes any difference, and, yes, I think it does.

10. Hey_Moe!

Hey_Moe! New Member

I think Spears played D-1 basketball, not afootball, as if having played the game should even be a factor in finding the next Woody Paige, who I promise you never played D-1 anything.
    Why do I have a sense that the brotha in Colorado Springs has enlisted his friends in a write-in campaign here on SJ dot com? Just a guess, but some of the posts seem like set-ups.
    The Post definitely has some solid candidates already in their building (Briggs, however, took the recent buyout; he's long-gone) and they need to reward one of them. The notion of bringing in someone from outside after a "national search" insults these worthy candidates. And if there is pressure to make another minority hire, so be it. Spears would be outstanding.

11. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Wow, where did Briggs go?

12. Hey_Moe!

Hey_Moe! New Member

Last I heard Briggs had headed to Fla. with his buyout check to write a book, but I could be wrong. It appears I was wrong about
    the brotha from C.S. having seeded the board with posts, per a message forwarded by SJ dot com webmaster. Apologies, BFCS

Draft saved Draft deleted