1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnist, Denver Post - Calling the next Woody Paige

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Victor Smalley, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think they should bump up Marc Spears.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

In a nutshell: With 24 hours of the Rocky Mountain News' announcement of two journalists winning a Pulitzer, the Post announces cutbacks.

As for the columnist job, I'd be willing to bet the reason for the quick deadline is for one reason only: Broncos. Broncos football is the No. 1 story in town, edging out Broncos training camp and Broncos offseason for the top spot.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

What does one have to do with the other?

4. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

obviously, they are looking nationally, but there are some quality writers in the area. the first who comes to mind is milo bryant at colorado springs. and he'd fit the pressure to hire a minority candidate.

there are also some solid writers in longmont. patrick ridgell has won some APSE awards for column writing, as has their SE mike kelley. tony phifer in fort collins wouldn't be a bad pick. he's also won some APSE awards for columns through the years. or they could bump up spears or frei or klis or anyone else who's been there a while.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

With all due respect, I'd be completely shocked if the Denver Post hired someone from Longmont or Fort Collins as their No. 2 sports columnist.  Milo Bryant is one of the few minority columnists in the country and he's in their backyard, so he'd figure to get a look.  But the Post isn't going to pluck a beat writer from a 25,000 circ paper and make them a columnist.  No way.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Milo might be a good fit, but is he ready? And I don't think the Post will look to a couple of sub-50,000 papers, no matter how good they are and how many APSE awards they have won, for it's No. 2 columnist job.

7. Claws for Concern

Milo Bryant is a columnist for Colorado Springs and that's a nearly 100,000 circulation paper.

8. Claws for Concern

They have a JOA and what a difference in which one is doing good work while the other is letting people go.

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

OK, I see what you mean. But as far which one has the better sports section, I'd still give the nod to the Post.

10. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

i think that's easy to say taking the circulation into account. but those people i have named all have worked at or had the chance to work at much bigger papers. phifer has been in fort collins for something like 25 years and knows colorado sports inside and out. ridgell worked in new york and has covered all the major sports there. he was also beat writer for byu. mike kelley has covered all the denver pro teams and also knows colorado very well.

and i think milo is ready and would be a great hire.

all i'm sayiing is that if the post wants to, there are some solid candidates in the area. doesn't mean they'll go that direction, but if you can write a column, you can write a column.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I could definitely see Bryant being a serious candidate. But someone jumping from Longmont or Fort Collins to the Post as a columnist? You've got to be fucking kidding me... Personally, I think the Post should stay in house...

Nothing against them, but

12. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

I don't know how the Post views writers from the smaller Colorado papers, but it would do well by Milo. I've shared more than one press box meal with him through the years, and he's an awesome person. He'll talk your ear off about physical fitness if you give him a chance, but I haven't held that against him.

I've read Milo's stuff for a while, and he has turned into a solid columnist. His Broncos, Nuggets and Rockies work is great. He had several nice pieces from the Olympics. And I'm sure there are coaches at the Air Force Academy who would love to see him leave Colorado Springs.

He'd be a great hire for the Post.

Draft saved Draft deleted