1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Column word count

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Thanks for the advice, dad.

It's a legitimate discussion, and not driven by any particular agenda except curiosity.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

What if you use multiple polysyllabic words?

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Fill the column down the left-hand side of the front page, leaving space for your column logo and the 1-3-30 headline.

If you want to write any more than that, you have to buy the beer for the guy who's doing the jump page.

Honestly, depends on the column. 15-18 max I would say, unless it's a story column that is really a take-out feature anyway.

4. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

650 words. Period.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's another thing that's wrong with our industry. Our columnists are our highest-paid guys, yet we create page formulas that tell them they only have 15-17 inches to say something.

And then we let guys who have been there for only a few years write 40-inch stories that can be told in 25 inches. And they write the full 40 because they're not good enough to say it in 25.

Meanwhile, the columnist only ends up writing 45 inches in a week -- 60 if it's his week to write four times.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Also depends on the width of the web. When we went to a narrower web, the word count dropped from 35 to 30 an inch.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

If they cannot say it well in that time, they should be feature writers.

And there should be nothing wrong with a columnist writing features. (Although they are not blogging).

Seriously though, I don't think any of our columnists who needed jumps were actually told they couldn't have it. And the jump allows a photo if one is needed.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm never allowed more than 15 inches. Most of the time I only get 12.

9. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

If you can't do it in 650, they you need some help. I could see longer in a few cases, but it better be good.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Write what it's worth.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In your eyes or the copy desk's eyes?

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yours. And then they'll ask to have it trimmed or ask you.

We have a guy where I'm at who weaves his stuff so well it's tough to cut. And his stories and columns always vary in length. He writes what he thinks it's worth and ties it together tight.

Draft saved Draft deleted