1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Column word count

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Jan 13, 2008.

1. What do you shoot for? 750-800 words? Sound about right? I'm curious how long everyone writes. Is there kind of an industry standard?

2. moonlight

moonlight Member

I write until I've made my point.

Then I get out.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Then the deskers scream at you to cut half your column.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And I cut you where it runs out of space.... If you are lucky, I'll let it end with a period.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's so the ad people won't scream at us because a too-long column ran over and covered up the ad.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It depends on the section. If I have a tight section, I tell columnists to keep it to about 18 inches (in News Edit Pro). If we're wide open, they can write longer and I'll jump it to an inside page.

7. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Thomas Boswell used to say you write until it gets boring....which for me is somewhere between byline and dateline

8. You should probably worry about what your paper wants, not the industry standard.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Our columns are around 18-20 inches, occasionally longer.

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

our columns run about 15 inches if they run in the left-hand rail and don't jump. if they are packaged with event coverage, they can jump and don't have to be a specific length.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Of course, and this is not a knock, historically this answer is a lot different for Mitch Albom than almost anybody else. But they let him do it, and he took advantage of that freedom.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't know if there's an industry standard.

I write as long as I need to write. Sometimes it's no more than 430 words. Usually no more than 650.

Draft saved Draft deleted