1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Column tweaking

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by forever_town, Jul 13, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Earlier this year, I decided to add my mug shot to my opinion column after I read a section of Jock Lauterer's book that suggested it. I would also do so now for regular columnists if I had them. However, I still use justified columns for opinion/editorial pieces.

Should I switch to ragged right for op-ed pieces? If so, why? If not, why not?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes. It's standard format for an opinion piece.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i bet i can come up with as many papers that use ragged right as justified so i don't know about any standard format. decide which way you like and go with that one.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I like ragged right for columns since it makes them stand out. It sets it apart from a news story, just as a mugshot would.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ragged right for columns, italic on the head if your typeface doesn't look like ass in italic.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Having not seen your typeface, I can say with 90 percent certainty that it looks like ass in italics.

7. forever_town

When I decided to switch to rag right, our production manager seemingly tried her damnest to convince me not to switch. I'm not too consistent with it so far, I must say...

8. Fisch

Fisch Member

What does the rest of your paper do? Stay consistent. If all the columnists in every other section justified, stay justified, or get them to go all ragged right.

There is no standard format for this, it's whatever the paper wants it to look like. I've worked for papers that do it both ways.

9. forever_town

I know this is old, but now I've developed a consistent style.

Feature stories get italic hedes and a drop cap in the first graf. Regular columnists get a mug shot with their names under them. All columns are rag right. I don't use italic hedes on columns because that's the style I use for feature stories.

10. lono

lono Active Member

That sounds like a good starting point.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i hope you're having a good fucking time in 1985.

and, yet again, i agree with doc about RR.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

not going to hurt a damn thing to include columns, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted